Feed

Managing FCP files

Even though I have 1TByte on my MacBook I recently had to off-load everything I could including my Music library onto USB drives in order to finish a skiing video using the Final Cut Pro video editor. The video is less than 20 minutes long and makes a 19GByte .mov file and a more manageable 2.8GByte .mp4 file. However the FCP library.fcpbundle file after deleting generated files is still 238GBytes! Four such projects will fill a 1TByte disc.

How do other AUG members manage storage of these projects?

Re: Managing FCP files

Hi Rick I use FCP 7.03 and have not come across this problem are you on the latest FCP as I have not updated to that as I use a firewire for capture and log and the new version does not have that I understand are you locl to Portsmouth if so my be we can meet up will ask a friend if he has the same problem and get back to you Regards Chris

My version is 10.4.8, there was another update recently. Unfortunately Chris I live in Poole. Thank you I would like to hear how your friend copes and which version he has.

I didn't mention that before I deleted Generated Library Files and other stuff my project was 327 GBytes!

I don't know whether I have Consolidated Library Media and whether this increases the library.fcpbundle file size or no. The subtext says "Media stored in external folders will be copied" but I am not sure what constitutes an external file. I have assumed files that are on external discs, in which case this would only be a few Mbytes of music files rather than all the video media. It may be that this option is "greyed out" (grey & unavailable) if I have selected this menu item.

the only thing I can think of is what are the imported videos as file format as i use apples Pro Res 4:2:2 codec is this what you are using ?. as this will ne a lot less GBs file sizes !!

My codec is Apple ProRes 422. The resolution 1920x1080 and the video is just over 18 minutes long. Can you give me an idea of what project file (library.fcpbundle) size to expect for such a movie?

Hi Rick I have a 1440 x 1080 HD 45 mins long and that required a 7.78 Gb of file space is this what you are looking at ? This is the capture size of all the required file data are for that film on my finial cut + extras for render files and sequences Ie fades and effects that's not counting extra auto tracks but there all ready on the system, Hope this helps still waiting to hear from my friend about this

Feed