Feed

And another problem!

Since moving to PlusNet - though I don't see how this could be the cause - I am not able to have access between computers. Before the change of ISP I was able to access the desktops on both my MacBook Pro and my wife's MacBook Air from my iMac and vice versa. The OS's haven't been changed but now the following is taking place (or not):

Although the MacBook Pro shows in the sharing section of the sidebar on the iMac, it can't find it.
The MacBook Air doesn't show in the iMac sharing section.
The MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air don't list the iMac.
Attempting to connect the two MacBooks as a guest is not allowed in either direction, and passwords are not recognised to connect as a registered user.

Sharing is turned on for all three computers, Is there a next step to bring them back into contact?

I am beginning to think that I must have been wicked in another life an Apple are teaching me a lesson....

Re: And another problem!

I can't see why this would have changed as you haven't changed the OS, but in the sharing section of System Preferences, check that File Sharing is ticked. Also, check that at the top of the window it shows the name of your computer ending in .local (that's dot local).

Apple's instructions for file sharing here:

Setup File Sharing

Checked as you suggested Mick and File Sharing was ticked and the computer name has ".local" as its' suffix. The Remote Management opt-in was ticked, then when I unticked it, both of the other computers appeared in the side bar on all three computers - but I can't log on to them. Can't get the current passwords to be accepted to connect as a Registered User, nor am I permitted access as a Guest in any direction on any computer. I might just use memory sticks!

You are using the user name exactly as it appears on the computer you're logging on to and the password for that user on that machine? (That's how it's always been so if you could log on before, then you must be but I thought I'd check.)

The router acts as the DHCP server for your network (ie it gives all of your devices their [dynamic] IP addresses) so a new router may have messed up your addressing. You MUST only have one server on your personal network so if the old router is still there, remove it.

Following that, things *ought* just to work but you could usefully try refreshing the dynamic IP addresses:
On each Mac, open System preferences and click on 'Network'. Click the Padlock to authenticate and unlock the settings you'll need. Click the 'Advanced' button.

You should see multiple panes, click on TCP/IP. You should see a section called 'Configure IPv4' (or similar, but not 'IPv6'). This should be set to "Using DHCP". You will also see a button called "Renew DHCP Lease" (or similar). Click it and wait for a fanfare of angels...
... or possibly nothing. It's a harmless button that just refreshes network addresses that may be "stale" from the old router. It might just fix the problem.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the suggetions Mick & Tony. I followed what you suggested Tony, and all three computers are now showing the other two in the hard drive side bar. But... attempting to connect to the iMac from either of the MacBooks results in the message "Michael's Computer (2) can't be opened because the original item can't be found". I get the same message between MacBooks, Trying to connect to the iMac, connection doesn't happen. When I try to enter my name and password for each to connect as a Registered User, despite having chaged my Apple ID to my iCloud email address, my old onetel address comes up, with no apparent way of changing it. Trying to connect as a Guest is denied and I am referred to the system administrator - who knows nothing ('cos that's me!.There is only one router in use. Not quite sure what to try next.

I have seen device names having "(2)" appended too (I'm assuming that you didn't do it deliberately). It seems to be a response to addressing problems by Apple's networking software and may be part of the problem.

Changing all the computer names back to their originals (by deleting the "(2)") should help: you can edit it in System Preferences > Sharing where it offers 'Computer Name'; you'll need to click the Padlock to authenticate and unlock the setting.

Having done that, it may be wise to uncheck and recheck File Sharing on each machine (pause briefly after unchecking and before re-checking, just to give the other computers time to notice the disappearance).

I'm not sure why or where your Apple ID or iCloud email address comes in. I would have thought your user name on the Macs would be michaelcorgan or similar. Check this on a machine you're trying to log on to by opening Macintosh HD and then the Users folder. You should see the house icon for the logged in user with the account name beside it. If your name normally appears as Michael Corgan, the account name will remove capitals and spaces i.e. michaelcorgan. Try using that (or whatever you find) as a user name to log in.

All is as you have said, Mick, but I am still unable to connect between Macs. I am a little puzzled as to which password is required to make the connection as a Registered user and have tried those for each involved Mac to no avail. And am still not allowed to log on as a Guest.

The password (as mentioned in my second post) should be the one the user uses as their admin or login password when logging on to that machine. So, if you normally open your laptop and log in as michaelcorgan using the password augwessex, then from your iMac, you log in to the laptop as user michaelcorgan with password augwessex. This should give you all the access rights you would have if you'd been typing at the laptop keyboard.

Thank you both for your help. It was a question of the right passwords and the right account names (which were not as I had remembered them) and now all seems to be working well.

Hooray!

Feed