Feed

PlusNet Router problems

Whenever I first want to go online I find that the PlusNet router asks for the password (printed on a plastic card that slots into the back of the router) and then refuses to accept it. I then need to turn the router off for 30 seconds and then re-boot after which it functions correctly. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Re: PlusNet Router problems

I’ve never been asked for the router password but we do have to re-boot our router from time to time nowadays, perhaps once or twice a month. I’m not sure whether this is anything to do with the age of the router or if it’s an issue with the Plusnet servers. I’ve heard the term ‘stale connection’ used, but don’t really know what it means!

I am using a Plusnet router (Hub One) and not had that problem. However I have changed the password to one of my own. You could try that and if you still have the problem it may be a fault in the router, so ask Plusnet for a replacement..

Thanks both. Lionel, I will read the instructions on changing the password to see if that does the trick. Much as I have had problems with TalkTalk their router never once dropped the connection.
My son has volunteeered to send me a router, so I will have belt and braces.

Michael, you don't say what devices are having an issue or how they connect - if it's macOS wireless, make sure the router is at the top of the list of networks for joining. In theory this shouldn't make a difference but it won't hurt.

The PlusNet router (must be a recent model as I received it in October) is connected by ethernet cable to my iMac. This dropping-out problem is a new one - there was no problem for the first 6 weeks or so with the set-up.

Just had a thought (rare at this time of morning I know) and tried sending an email from my MacBook - connected by wi-fi to the router (I think, as there is no ethernet cable between the two) and it went, no problem. More significant, the wi-fi signal is fine on the laptop, but still not being admitted on the iMac, where the password is being demanded - and then not recognised. Now I am completely confused! I think a brisk walk with the dog will cure everything. Maybe.

My iMac is connected to my router by ethernet cable but I don't have the Wi-Fi switched on, could this be the problem.

A call to PlusNet gave me the following answers:
It is OK to have one Mac connected by ethernet cable and another by wi-fi on the PlusNet router at the same time.
A Mac connected by ethernet cable does not require a password (pretty obvious I suppose, because no outside person can tap into the communication between the two).
The problem was with the iCloud email account which was asking for a password for the old OneTel (i.e. TalkTalk) email address which was my Apple ID. Once I got onto <iforgot.apple.com> and changed the password it all started to work. JNow I want to find out if I can ditch the OneTel ID for an iCloud or Gmail one. But no hurry!

It is easy to change your Apple ID for another one and still keep the same password I did when I gave up a name email address which TalkTalk didn't like.

I will go on line to check out how to change, Doug. If I get stuck expect an email!

Hi Michael - you said at 17:32 -

"The problem was with the iCloud email account which was asking for a password"

but in your first post you said

"the PlusNet router asks for the password (printed on a plastic card that slots into the back of the router) and then refuses to accept it".

So we were all trying to fix a problem that didn't exist instead of one we didn't know about? 😉

Indeed. The problem was described as I saw it when I posted to the Discussions page. Subsequently the tech guy at PlusNet pointed out that it could not be due to the wi-fi response since the iMac was connected by Ethernet cable. That is when the true nature of the problem showed. Things followed from there.

One other point - I don't know why the router was refusing to accept its (PlusNet originated) password. I do know that once my Apple ID password was changed my icloud account reactivated.

Feed