Feed

A problem transferring photos from iPhone to Mac

I don't use the Photos app, preferring to store photo files in folders on a hard drive (for use with a cataloguing system). I am wondering if I am imagining that I have previously been able to see the iPhone contents simply by connecting it to my Mac with a USB cable and so copy photo files to a computer. This is not now happening either with the iMac or the MacBook Pro. And when connecting via iTunes only 7 of the last 30 or 40 photos are showing.

Would this be because there is a discrepancy between the operating systems? The iMac can ony run 10.11.6, while the MacBook is on 10.13.6 (by choice). The iPhone is on iOS 13.3

Re: A problem transferring photos from iPhone to Mac

I find the Photos app useful for transferring photos. The shots taken on the iPhone are already in the Photos app when I return home, having transferred via iCloud. I can then edit and/or transfer to folders or editing apps as required and store on my iMac. (OS 10.13.6). No cables required.

I think if you connect by cable and run Photos, the photos not yet imported into Photos all show and you are expected to import them BUT, I think you can drag them from the thumbnails showing in Photos to you chosen location. Unless that is, iOS 13.3 has altered things.

As an alternative, you could mark the photos you want to transfer and, using "Save to Files" drop them somewhere on your iCloud Drive (or DropBox) and download them to the Mac from there.

Thanks for your suggestions. They are fine but will only allow me to import the 7 photos that show in Photos or in Image Capture. I still don't have any idea why only 7 of the last photos taken show on the Mac, while all photos taken can be seen on the iPhone.

And was I wrong in thinking that I have previously been able to access the iPhone photos direct? If I am not, how can I do that now?

This looks like a repeat of the problem you had in both June and September in that not all the photos show. May I suggest you bring the phone and laptop to a meeting and we'll see if we can get to the bottom of it.

Well, I have discovered a work-around to get the photo files where I want them to be. In Photos on the iPhone I select Share and then Airdrop the photos I want to my MacBook Pro. From there they can be put in the appropriate folder on my iMac which is too old to have Airdrop. Slow, but it works. And as it happens we are going to Exeter tomorrow, so I will try and get someone in the Apple Store to take a look and see what they suggest. Watch this spot!

Michael, you might like to re-read the rather excellent notes from the January 2019 Bournemouth meeting, at which Mick reviewed these different approaches, including Airdrop.

Hi Trevor
Thanks for the thought. I did add to that report to the effect that I don't use iTunes, but prefer to download my iPhone photos to my Mac using Image Capture. Latterly Image Capture (and iTunes too) could only see 7 of what turned out to be 136 images that had yet to be downloaded. There wasn't a slot at the Genius Bar in Exeter while we were there so we had to come away without an Apple person's opinion on what is the cause of the trouble, so this saga may well continue! Meantime I have the slow option of moving new images using Share in Photos via AirDrop to my MacBook and, because my iMac isn't currently seeing my MacBook, a memory stick, to put them neatly in the appropriate file on my iMac!

An update. Decided to call Apple Support to see if there is an answer to the majority of photos on the iPhone that have not been dowloaded not showing in Image Capture or on iTunes. Before making the call I ran Image Capture to check. And it showed ALL the photos on the iPhone. An intermittent fault? I hope that it has gone away for good.

Feed