Feed

5G or not 5G with the iPhone 11

Today I was sitting in the Quay Inn at Wareham checking out the traffic situation through Sandford using Google maps, struggling with a very low 3G signal thinking that parts of Dorset still have a long way to go to get full 4G coverage and wondering how long it will be before there are the new masts required for 5G support.

I buy my phones and use Pay As You Go because my usage is insufficient to warrant a contract. I was contemplating upgrading from my iPhone 6 to an iPhone 11 for Christmas (sorry about using that word) however I notice it hasn't got 5G (or a fast charger). As I swap phones only every 4 or 5 years should I hold back and wait for the iPhone 12 which probably will?

Re: 5G or not 5G with the iPhone 11

I have just upgraded my iPhone 4s to 11 Max Pro. I like yourself buy my phone but rather than pay exorbitant prices for my calls I purchase a Sim only monthly package. I transferred this package over to my new phone free of charge keeping the same deal, i.e. £9 per month for 4GB data with unlimited calls and text messages.

Having decided to upgrade I then made up my mind that I would wait until the new 11 appeared in October. I was glad that I did, it is a wonderful phone, the only draw back is the weight but having the large screen compensates for that.

I looked at the iPhone 11 Pro v 11 today in Currys/PC World and the difference in brightness between the OLED screen and the ordinary one is obvious. I forgot to look at the difference between my iPhone 6 and the new phones. At present it is difficult to see the screen in sunlight when I'm using it as a satnav mounted on the handlebars of my bike.

I notice that with each new iPhone how the pundits say how much more time the battery gives you. They must just read Apples hype. By now the phone should last a week before recharging.

Rick, I've got no advice to offer but, as a fellow iPhone 6 owner mildly piqued by its inability to take iOS 13, I'm trying hard not to let this bounce me into upgrading an otherwise totally satisfactory phone. You're not helping!

I can't help but point out that there are many Android phones out there which are high spec and better value. I understand that ones direct from Google tend to be supported for longer that the average Android phone.

Just a thought...

Gentlemen, please have a look at Ian R Crane on YouTube; there is a lot of evidence that 5G causes cancer.

Trevor, look away now!
I've just returned from PC World where I checked the brightness of the iPhone 6 against both the 11 and the 11 Pro. There is much more difference between the 6 and the 11 than there is between the 11 and the 11 Pro so I think the 11 would satisfy my needs for the bike.

I bought a Samsung J5 last year as a backup phone as I thought my iPhone 6 was failing and Samsung/Google managed to disorganise my contacts list twice and each time it took me a lot of effort to unravel; I don't want to go there again. (The phone cost half as much as an iPhone and in my opinion was half as useful). Incidentally the J5 AMOLED screen brightness was very good and would judge it to be between the 11 & 11 plus although I haven't tested it.

In the 5 years I will probably keep this new phone for, will I regret not waiting for 5G? I don't really need the increase in speed and resolution for my present apps but as Steve Jobs said when he launched the iPhone the problem with the present phones is the lower third (where the physical buttons are) which don't allow a new button for some new app which comes along after launch day. (He was promoting the touch screen buttons). Similarly I don't know what apps will be invented to use the higher speed and resolution. It will be required to steer a car precisely along roads but perhaps not to find my phone in the living room or record my skiing, walking and biking activity.

Perhaps I'll buy an iPhone watch instead!

I'm not personally concerned about 5G capability yet, it will take a while for the infrastructure to roll out, just as 4G did. Some of the purpose is also to provide extra capacity, not just faster connections (also like 4G) and you'll still benefit from that as some other traffic will have migrated to 5G, freeing 4G capacity.

As to 5G safety, I believe it's true that no-one has proven it safe and, worse, it can't be proven. However, no reputable study has shown it to be dangerous (try the BBC for background, or the Guardian, for example).

Feed