Feed

Blocking information tracking in Safari

Wondering how I can limit internet tracking of my info when using Safari? Switching off Cookies would be one way but are some cookies needed on some websites? Some browsers, I believe, have a “Do Not Track” (DNT) setting but I don’t see this in Safari Prefs. Apps are available on the App Store for Safari Extensions. eg. 1Blocker, Adblock, Ad Control, Ad and Stuff Blocker, Block Advertising, Block Tracking. Can anyone recommended any such extension and/or best solution?

Re: Blocking information tracking in Safari

Once again Roy, this might help.

In Safari on your Mac, choose Safari > Preferences > Privacy.

Select “Prevent cross-site tracking”. Unless you visit and interact with the third-party content provider as a first-party website, their cookies and website data are deleted.

Thanks Drew. I had that already ticked. Wondering if the other item, "Block all cookies" should be ticked.

Block all cookies is a mixed blessing since it can stop a web site working correctly. I agree with Drew on using 'Prevent cross-site tracking'.

If you're visiting a site that you really don't want to leave cookies, a compromise is to open a 'Private window' in Safari. Sites in that window have a very limited access to your machine and (specifically) can't change your cookies.

Safari Help says:
When you use a Private Browsing window:

Browsing initiated in one tab is isolated from browsing initiated in another tab, so websites you visit can’t track your browsing across multiple sessions.

Web pages you visit and your AutoFill information aren’t saved.

Your open web pages aren’t stored in iCloud, so they aren’t shown when you view all your open tabs from other devices.

Your recent searches aren’t included in the results list when you use the Smart Search field.

Items you download aren’t included in the downloads list. (The items do remain on your computer.)

If you use Handoff, Private Browsing windows are not passed to your iOS devices or other Mac computers.

Changes to your cookies or other website data aren’t saved.

Plug-ins that support Private Browsing stop storing cookies and other tracking information.

Websites can’t modify information stored on your device, so services normally available at such sites may work differently until you turn off Private Browsing.

Thanks Tony. I will do a "Private window" when appropriate.

Feed