Feed

Importing home video DVDs

Hi, do you know if there is a way to import DVDs of home videos into the Mac in order to get them in a 'modern format' such as MP4? They have no copy protection.

Ideally:
-this would be using Apple apps already resident on a Mac or from the app store.
-an AUGW member has used it!

I am aware of 'Handbrake' but understand that you have to download it from the internet rather than the app store. I would rather not do this (useless someone can assure me that there is a safe source).
Thanks
Richard

Re: Importing home video DVDs

If you have a DVD, presumably your Mac has facilities for playing DVDs, will they not import into iMovie?

I've been using Handbrake for years but I can't remember where I downloaded it from.

I have always downloaded Handbrake from Macupdate.com

Thanks to all! I forgot about imovie- I shall try it out this weekend. Also it's good to see others have used Handbrake.

I have also spotted that in MacFormat magazine they say to download it from handbrake.fr

Handbrake.fr is, I believe, the author.

I'm just trying to do this as I have a DVD I want to edit. The Handbrake procedure was a bit lengthy but seems to have worked;importing the resulting mp4 into iMovie is forecast to take ten hours. What am I doing wrong?

Phew! 1am and its worked, Hallelujah!

BUT when I tried it with another DVD everything was looking fine at the 9 1/2 hour mark, and after ten hours I got the message that it had failed to import because of an error.....

I think Handbrake is what you need. Mick is correct (as always!) that handbrake.fr is the developer's website.

When you download an app from an arbitrary developer and double click to open it, you will see one of a variety of dialogues. macOS will say that it has been downloaded and from where (if that doesn't tally there's a problem). It will also indicate whether the app has been 'notarised' by Apple by saying, or not, that the app has been checked by Apple for malicious software.

Notarisation implies also that the app uses the hardened runtime (that stops it doing a variety of dangerous things) and that it has been digitally signed (so you got what the developer intended with no hitchhikers). It is desirable but is not a 100% guarantee of safety.

Handbrake has been notarised.

I did use Handbrake Tony, and it worked fine, as always. The resulting mp4 plays well. I used my Mountain Lion machine and iMovie HD to create the DVD as its got 32GB of memory. I'm now thinking of using my Mini (El Capitan)which only has 8GB of memory but uses a later version of iMovie, 10.1.4

That's good.

My reply about Handbrake was due to me misreading a date and rejoining the earlier discussion! I blame Lockdown-itis. Perhaps it's a useful contribution anyway.

I guessed that, these pathetic lockdowns are a curse....

Feed