Feed

iPadOS

My iPad is now offering iPadOS 13.1 for download. Being more of a chicken than a guinea pig by nature, has anyone tried it yet?

Re: iPadOS

Yes, thousands of Apple employees plus beta testers 😉

Ah but what about the last minute 'improvements' that they put into the released version? Of course, Tony and I know from our shared past that such things absolutely can't happen :)

I have installed on my iPad with no problems

Running happily here. Somehow doesn't feel like as big a change as I expected, though text editing needs a little relearning.

Whilst I'm on the subject, a little warning: one of the really useful features of iPadOS is the ability to read/write from external media, notably memory sticks. To connect these, you need a USB (familiar USB-A socket) to Lightning adaptor, of which Apple sells two [if you have a very new iPad Pro, you have a USB-C socket so you'll have different issues].

Apple sells:
* Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (£30)
* Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter (£40)

In a highly unscientific test of the 4 memory sticks lying on my desk, 3 out of 4 will not connect because they "require too much power". The fix is simultaneously to connect the charger to make them work, but that needs the Lightning socket that the stick/Adapter is plugged into...

Only the USB3 adapter (that I have by chance) offers a further Lightning socket to connect the charger (and all my sticks then work fine). So if you're buying, choose carefully (yes, the one with the extra socket is the more expensive one 😩).

PS My memory card reader will also connect via the adapter and I can see all the picture files. Sadly, iPadOs doesn't yet understand Canon's CR3 Raw format.

Okay. I’ve done the update today. Nothing actually broken so far but it took me a while to work out how to flag an email message and even longer to find out what had happened to Find My Friends. I was beginning to feel like Thora Hird’s character in Last of the Summer Wine who, when crunching the gears in her Triumph Herald, would claim that her husband (inveterate car tinkerer Wesley) had been ‘moving these gears about again’!

In case anyone else runs into the same issues:
The options for flagging and marking emails have disappeared from the toolbar at the top and are now accessed through a recycling arrow symbol in the bottom right hand corner. Presumably someone somewhere must think that’s an improvement?

Find My Friends and Find My iPhone have been merged into a single app called ’Find My’ (Inspired title, don’t you think?). In my case this new app was hidden away on the extras folder.

All fine here. Up-to-date User Guides access URLs posted in a new topic for info.

Feed