Feed

Icon View Shift-Click in Finder

On my Mac computer although it is possible to select multiple files in the Finder by pressing the Shift modifier key while clicking to include all files between the previously selected file and the new file in list view, it is not possible in icon view. This has annoyed me over the years as I often want to identify image files by the thumbnail picture and they don’t arrange themselves in a perfect rectangle and in any case are often outside of the visible window (as I have the icons quite large to clearly identify the picture) so I cannot click and drag.

My work-around is to select the first and last thumbnail in icon view then switch to list view and shift-click the first filename. Not a great hardship but when selecting several separate groups of files there is a lot of switching back and forth between views.

Windows and Linux do this and I am sure I remember the original 1984 AppleMac also allowed this form of selection. An internet search seems to imply that this ought to be possible but only show examples in list view. Is there a setting I have inadvertently altered or do I have to live with it?

Re: Icon View Shift-Click in Finder

I am now confused. I was convinced whilst talking to Rick that you should be able to do what he describes but it doesn't work for me either.

However, as I looked at a Finder window full of icons, muscle-memory told me to drag a selection rectangle around those that I wanted. I think this may be the best (only?) way to select many items in icon view.

Rick, when you tried this did you realise that the Finder window will automatically scroll if you drag beyond its edge? This means that however large your icons, and however small your window, you can always select as many items as you want?

Holding Command (cmd) allows random multiple items to be selected, be they icons in finder view, emails in a list or photos in Photos (and probably LightRoom 😉

Tony, I sometimes encounter a window where the icons arrange themselves to the right as well as below the viewable area (window). In this case selecting a rectangle of thumbnails proves completely unmanageable. I know I could make the window full screen but I'm use to a larger screen where I have several windows open at the same time for moving files around.

Mick, the files I want to select are usually contiguous. Yes I realise that Command (or Control on the PC in Windows and Linux) selects additional files to those already selected but I often click away, scroll a bit, click some more, scroll again, click another and forget to press Command or inadvertently click when using the track pad to scroll. So I have to start all over again!

Feed