Feed

iMac Slow Speed

My Mid 2010 is running slower than ever and it’s time for action. I would appreciate suggestions (other than buy new) on how to improve the speed. The OS is up-to-date as far as it will go (High Sierra 10.13.6) on a 27-inch screen, Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, Memory 8 GB. The 1 TB SATA HD has 194 GB available.

The system takes 120 GB, Documents 654 GB, iTunes 2.88 GB, Photos 2.57 GB, I assume that last amount is just for the Photos app, excluding Lightroom.

There are 15 lines of Lightroom 4 Catalog-2-2.ircat dated 2014 total 4.8GB showing on the HD but I currently use LR v 6.14. However I don’t know if they can be deleted without losing images. Experienced help needed on that.

Is “CleanMy Mac” or “MacKeeper “ the way to start?

Re: iMac Slow Speed

Don't use any Mac cleaner at all. You could try starting in safe mode (Euan's given a "how to" on here many times) but I suspect you are getting to the stage where you're asking too much of a nine-year-old machine. Remember, Apple class anything over five years old as vintage! More memory may possibly help but I don't think I'd spend money on a machine of that age.

You say "slower than ever". Has this been a gradual slow down over the years or happened suddenly? I ask as I have a theory (for which I have no proof) that as Apple design both hardware and software, they are designed to work together at the time of release. Therefore, your machine was designed to work with Snow Leopard, the OS current in mid 2010. I believe that although our machines will run newer operating systems, each one puts extra load on that the machine was not designed to cope with which results in a gradual slow down as each upgrade is loaded. I also think that with the image sizes you're no doubt using in an Adobe program, an i3 processor will be gasping!

I second Mick's view that you're flogging an ageing horse.

To get a decent speed increase, you could swap the Hard Disk for an SSD: I expect you'd get a decent performance boost in many tasks. However, that wouldn't come cheap and the money, as Mick hints, would probably be better in the pot marked 'new iMac'. Buy soon and you can leave it on Mojave, next iMac upgrade is almost guaranteed to need Catalina and hence not run 32-bit apps.

Thanks for the quick replies Mick and Tony, which have convinced me the answer is 'new iMac'. I will have to do some 'homework' on the new spec but recommendations will be welcome. Doubt if I would use Migration Assistant because of the out-of-date stuff and 'clutter' I have. Am not sure about the implications of Tony's 'Buy soon'/ Mojave and Catalina/32-bit apps comments.
The new spec needs to be suitable for running Lightroom and Photoshop Elements but with much less activity on these apps than in the past. Very little video work.
Where do I start (a) on spec decisions (b) on preparing for the change? eg making back up. Help, the old grey matter can't cope with all the considerations!

Re. MacKeeper: this is serious nuisance-ware and anyone who has it, whether by choice or accident, does well to get rid of it pronto. Malwarebytes (free version) is the remedy of choice, and will find other nuisance-ware that may have crept onto your system.

Thank you Euan. Comments appreciated.

If you are going for new I would revoke ban Apple refurbished model as it comes at a reduced price with all the Apple Warrantees. I have always bought refurbished my last one is an early model 2011 and a laptop I had was 2008 I believe and is still in use

Thank you Doug. I will have a look at RF.

"Buy soon" might have been a little alarmist. What I was getting at was that the next iMac upgrade will likely not be able to run anything older than Catalina (and hence not be 32-bit compatible) so keep an eye on the upgrade cycle.

MacFormat lists iMacs as having been updated in March ('19) and they usually only get one update per year so you probably have breathing space.

Thank you Tony. Does 'breathing space' mean the time I have to buy new before Catalina arrives? I went in an iStore yesterday and they said a display version of the new os would be in this month with a launch by end of this year. Am unsure if you are saying better to buy before Catalina.
After a look at refurbished I have decided that recent model prices are not tempting me.

The issue with Catalina is only that it will no longer run (old) 32bit apps. I think if you look elsewhere on here that applies to versions of Lightroom that were purchased outright for a one-off fee. Not sure if it applies to the current subscription service of Lightroom. So, if you don't rely on 32bit apps there's no problem with getting a Catalina machine. (Check your version of Lightroom by using About This Mac and System Report. Select Applications and look for Lightroom)

Thanks for clarifying Mick. Got it! My LR version is 6.14 'Stand Alone' not subscription. I guess that does mean 'buy soon' to get Mojave, as Tony suggested.

Second thoughts on my comment above - The Lightroom Version I have is 64 bit so no need to 'buy soon'?

64bit will run. I was only guessing that it was 32bit reading all the hoops some people are jumping through to avoid the subscription.

"Breathing space" meant time until iMacs get updated (the computers, not the OS). If you download the Mojave installer from the App Store soon (before Catalina is released), you can keep it against the day you have a new iMac that is Mojave-compatible but might come with Catalina pre-installed. I *think* that should all work.

The installer will start when you download it and offer to install Mojave. Just quit it, locate it in Applications and squirrel it away somewhere against the day you might need it.

There is much debate around LR 6 perpetual licence version (that you and I both have). It *is* a 64-bit app but it has 32-bit components. These seem to be non-essential add-ons but it is unclear if LR will (choose to) run without them. It's also possible that someone will hack it to run regardless.

Whether you consider all of this (plus possibly running Mojave past its use-by date) to be adequate for your workflow is up to you. I am trialling ON1 at the moment and will likely present it at a meeting later in the year. It's no LR but it may be adequate.

Thanks for more info Tony. It's a 'creative' suggestion to squirrel Mojave away.
I had overlooked your earlier comments on iMacs being updated, not the OS. My most recent thoughts are considering the possibility of replacing my iMac with a MacBook Pro. I assume the MacBook Air would not run Lightroom and Photoshop speedily, if at all. I realise an iMac would give more for a similar or less outlay and I would miss the larger screen. However my needs have changed (with age) and downsizing plus decluttering is in the air! Any updating info on MacBook Pros will be welcome. Re the apps, I would certainly miss Lightroom and will be interested in your conclusions/presentation on ON1.

Feed