Feed

Opinions on using a Password Manager?

My password ‘book’ is getting unwieldy - apologies to all who will cringe about such a ‘book’. This method has worked for me over many years but perhaps I should become more security savvy. So the first question is, should I use a Password Manager? If this becomes a firm ‘yes’, then which one? Is iCloud Keychain good enough or should I consider the free version of Dashlane or LastPass if they work across all Mac devices, inc iOS ones?

Re: Opinions on using a Password Manager?

Safari will remember web passwords for you and iCloud Keychain should be fine but a password manager should have other features which you may find useful.

If you go for one, try to speak to someone who uses the one you fancy. Pay particular attention to how they sync passwords across devices - some will say iOS and Mac but you have to remember to manually sync.

I was sceptical about the security when using a free one so opted for 1Password. This is quite expensive but I'm happy with it. It stores your data on your iCloud Drive or Dropbox so all devices access it there.

I used Dashlane for 12 months on all my devices until it asked for a subscription to carry on syncing to my other devices. I eventually went for 1Password which I find very good you can get it for a one off payment and not monthly subscription

Many thanks for the comments. Have had a brief look at 1Password and it's a possibility. Will take a more detailed look over the weekend.

The head of the National Cyber Security Centre recently said, with respect to sharing personal data, something along the lines of: "If you don't give it to them, they can't lose it (or have it stolen from them)".

I have yet to hear of a hacker breaking into a paper book, though you wouldn't catch me using such a low tech solution of course 🤓.

After a little research, I am surprised to find just how many Password Managers are available. There must be a demand! I am considering a one month free trial of LastPass, https://www.lastpass.com/how-lastpass-works
It's a browser plugin not an app for desktop or laptop use. Wondering if this is an advantage, disadvantage or not an important aspect. A free version is available but the Premium one may be advisable for use across all devices, £2.30/month plus vat. Rated as a 'Best Buy' in the August issue of the 'Which' magazine.

Feed