Feed

monitor black screen

mac mini fairly recent- After pausing a YouTube video for five minutes, when I returned my monitor screen was black. When I hit the spacebar to resume watching I could only listen as the screen remained black. As I couldn't see the cursor I was unable to quit anything or shut the Mac down.
I pressed the switch on the back and I think the bounder went to sleep because the little light on the front is slowly blinking at me. I'll have to unplug it.
The same monitor is also connected to my older Mini which I'm using now, it has a VGA connection whereas the newer one uses a DVI connection. Which is the more likely scenario, the DVI part of the monitor has gone, the HDMI/DVI part of the Mini has gone, or that cable has gone? If I see a cable or a monitor at the car boot sale tomorrow I'll buy them of course.

Re: monitor black screen

If the Mini is similar to the iMac, a tap on the button will indeed send it to sleep. Press and hold for a few seconds will shutdown.

Thanks Trevor! Its not blinking any more so I think its shut itself down. Forgot to unplug it last night.

Well! I'm speechless. The HDMI to VGA lead I bought didn't do the trick. That's £2.69 up my kilt!!!

Presumably because I was on Youtube when it happened, I now find I can't comment on any videos, I get the message;
'A name has not been set for this account. Please try again when a name has been set.' There are no instructions for doing that however, and I am struggling to understand their logic. Help!

Feed