Feed

WWDC 2019 Keynote

The ubiquitous "Dub-Dub" live Keynote has just finished -- the best in some years. Go to Apple Events where the recorded video should appear soon (WWDC 2019 2nd June 2019).

Enjoy, or complain if you must, rural torpor is also an option ;)

Re: WWDC 2019 Keynote

New Mac Pro....
Yes, preposterously expensive (oh for the value my first gen one was back in 2006), but, yup, that'll do nicely. Even though 256GB & a 580 is taking the proverbial as a baseline spec.

The full Apple Keynote video is now available on 'Apple Events' (5th June a.m.).

Ok, so what do we make of it? IPadOS looks like a good move, presumably to help make the iPad a viable laptop alternative.

I’m concerned that some important functionality might drop down the cracks with the demise of iTunes. For example, with Apple pushing us towards their subscription services, will I still be able to manage (and add to) my own music library?

Keynote has disappeared from "Apple Events", but can now be found here.

Of course it may wander about again...

Trevor, official statement on the changes from Apple states that:

Music that you’ve imported or purchased will be in the new Apple Music app.
Music playlists and smart playlists that you've created in iTunes will be in the new Apple Music app.
The iTunes Store will still be available to buy music on Mac, iOS, PC, and Apple TV.
iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes credits will be maintained and can be used with the new apps and the App Store.
iPhone, iPad, and iPod backup, restore, and syncing will move to Finder.
Movies and TV shows that you purchased or rented from iTunes will be in the new Apple TV app.
Use the Apple TV app for Mac for future movie and TV purchases or rentals.
Podcasts that you subscribed to or added to iTunes will now be in the new Apple Podcasts app.
Audiobooks that you purchased from iTunes will now be in the updated Apple Books app.
Use the Apple Books app for Mac for future audiobook purchases.

Which is straightforward enough.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210200

Great gag from Craig Federighi in the keynote: suggested that users kept telling them iTunes didn't do enough, so Calendar, Mail, and Safari would be going into iTunes. With a dock to switch between them :)

Oh, and the keynote is definitely still up on Apple.com- front page of US site, right on the top of the events page as well.

Thanks Euan, that sounds generally reassuring. I suppose the only issue remaining is whether, if I buy a new IMac and an external optical drive, I’ll still be able to import CDs into my library? I did get the bulk of them imported last year but the facility will still be needed occasionally in future.

Stuart, yes I was quite impressed to hear a bit of ironic humour used. A welcome counterpoint to the sometimes over-orgasmic audience reaction to each and every little announcement.

Yes, CD importing will still work in the traditional iTunes way via Music.

Ok, thanks. Sounds like my latest excuse not to get around to replacing our 10 year old iMac has bitten the dust!

It looks like Apple at last are to use Finder to move files in and out of mobile devices just like Windows and every other operating system has been doing for years. It was Steve Jobs that lumped the the device backup and data transfer functions into iTunes as the first device was the iPod which only transferred music and then later video.

It will be interesting to see how this is implemented as Apple like to compartmentalise files so that they are available for a single software application. I just wonder how many of my application programmes like Motion - X (which records and shows mapped routes) and Navionics Ski (which does a similar function at ski resorts) will continue to work. An alternative method of transferring files exists at the moment by emailing files between Mac and the mobile device and then opening the attachment in a specified programme.

Feed