Feed

Quotation Marks inside Italics

I recently posted a reply using some text with "quotation marks" inside italics and they were shown strangely. Have I stumbled across an "issue" or am I putting items in Italics incorrectly? I press the Italic button and copy the text into its box.

I recently posted a reply using some text with &quot;quotation marks&quot; inside italics and they were shown strangely. Have I stumbled across an &quot;issue&quot; or am I putting items in Italics incorrectly? I press the Italic button and copy the text into its box.<br />

Re: Quotation Marks inside Italics

It depends on the character encoding on our web site and your computer (I think!)

"Double quotes", 'single quotes'. &quot;double quotes&quot;, 'single quotes'

It's just double quotes in italics that's not showing as expected.

Re: Quotation Marks inside Italics

&somename; is how you safely write "difficult" characters in HTML. &quot; means, surprisingly, a quotation mark and it's "difficult" because it's part of the webpage's code.

Something is a little out of order so the quote gets turned into its safe form but ends up inside a string that is displayed literally, so it doesn't get turned back into a quote by the browser; the string itself looks a little ropey to me. So it's an "issue" (thank you Rick) for Chris, I think.

Feed