Feed

Changing from a Windows PC to an iMac

Our son has at last decided to scrap his PC and buy an iMac. No doubt I will be involved so need to prepare. First thoughts: will his documents, letters and emails transfer to the Mac OS? Will he need software on the Mac to translate them?

Re: Changing from a Windows PC to an iMac

Apple produce Migration Assistant for Windows - that's a good place to start. However, it may not cope with everything; I believe it deals with the Windows "standard" locations and file types i.e those supplied by Microsoft with the machine but if for example he's got photos stored in some exotic application, Migration Assistant probably won't touch them.

As you know, Pages will open Word files, Numbers will open Excel and Keynote will open PowerPoint. Photos are likely to be jpg or RAW files so no issue (just with the program storing them - he may need to export them first) and emails can be exported if a POP account and will just download if IMAP.

Thanks for the helpful info Mick. Will be discussing things with him this coming weekend.

Does he live near enough to become a member?😉

I'm around this weekend (except Sunday afternoon) if you need telephone advice.

Unfortunately not a potential member, based in Woking. Thanks for the offer of help. He is 'dithering' at the moment, about changing to a Mac. Doing all I can to 'sell'.

I failed to convert son to a Mac. Thought he was 'over the line' but at the final hurdle he decided to remain with a PC. Drat, it's murder trying to help him with problems on that!

Feed