Feed

Mail not working on iPhone

Am using an iPhone SE version iOS 12.1.2 but I can't send emails. Message says: "The sender address, rrain....................was rejected by the server".
My mobile Network and Carrier is TalkMobile so spoke to them first. After checking, they said it was an Apple issue for the phone. Had an in-depth discussion with Apple Support who took over my mobile screen. He checked the settings and was surprised it was a POP account, not IMAP. Was impressed by his detailed checks and time spent on the call, with a clear voice! However in the end he said it was a TalkTalk issue!!! He suggested I should change to an IMAP account. Spoke to TalkTalk who said they currently have a problem with iOS Mail and are working on it!
Wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem?

Re: Mail not working on iPhone

PS. to the above: My home network is ok with a strong signal and normally when I come home, any unsent emails on the mobile will go via this network. This not happening.
I can send emails from the mobile phone using Gmail. They are received on the phone and on my iMac.

I am with TalkTalk but have never used a TalkTalk mail address. I use an iCloud address and also Yahoo and Gmail so never have that problem. I suggest you ditch the TalkTalk email address and use another one

Roy, are you using an email address from toucansurf? If so, then, according to the TalkTalk web site the outgoing settings are:

Server - smtp.toucansurf.com
Port - 25
SSL - No
Authentication - None

Check these settings against those on your iMac assuming that can send using the same email address.

The important bit is the authentication. Normally you would use a user name and password and it's unusual for this not to work but it may be that TalkTalk are relying on the fact that email is being sent using the broadband they provide. This has the downside of only working when you're at home. You may have to switch to different settings while away from home.

Thanks Mick. Yes am using the Server address you show. The Port wasn't 25 so have changed it to that. Authentication is None. Will see if this works tomorrow but TalkTalk did say they had a problem with iOS Mail. Am starting to consider a different address as suggested by Doug above, perhaps iCloud.

Problem not solved by TalkTalk. Apple say there could be issues when using a POP email account with more than one device. Have decided to use my iCloud address and Gmail as backup, as Doug suggested.

I have six POP accounts I use on four devices - no issues whatsoever.

Well Mick, that 'torpedoes' the Apple comments. Must be a TalkTalk problem. Still not able to send emails on the SE yesterday but today can do! Can't continue with an unreliable Server (for me) so starting to use iCloud.

Feed