Feed

A problem with wi-fi

I have bought (a long story for another time) 2 set-top boxes. Neither seems able to connect to wi-fi, possibly because we live in an old house with thick walls, though this doesn't prevent my Macbook from connecting. Obviously, to get the best use of these new boxes they have to connect. Ethernet cables are not an option - the two rooms where we have the boxes are on opposite sides of the house or on another floor to the router.
I have found three options and would like to know what people suggest.
Option 1 is to run ethernet via the mains. This isn't favourite because each box would also require an ethernet cable.
Option 2 is to have wi-fi extenders connected through the mains.
Option 3 is to upgrade the current router. TalkTalk now have a powerful wi-fi hub.
Does anybody have experience of any of these options - or any other suggestions?

Re: A problem with wi-fi

1 & 2 will work fine. No idea about 3

I have use WiFi extenders through the ring main and they work very well as long as they are plugged into the wall socket and not an extension lead

I have learned, from working with a number of very capable RF designers, the universal answer to the question of "will it work/ how far will it reach" for wireless.

So I can authoritatively say that in your case "it depends". Wires are almost always better if they're practical.

Fortunately TalkTalk came to the rescue, and even better, it cost nothing. They sent me a more modern router which obviously, to judge from the results, has a much stronger wi-fi signal, so all is functioning. Let's hope it stays that way!

Feed