Feed

Router connection

Normally my fibre. router is connected directly to the master socket which is in the living room. Recently when the living room was being decorated, I experimented with connecting my router to a telephone extension in a bedroom. I connected the router there with a VDSL filter, as I used to do when using my ADSL router using an ADSL filter. However, try as I might I could not get the router to connect. I tried a telephone on the same extension and that gave me a clean dial tone.

My connection is fibre to the cabinet so the first part of the connection is via the copper telephone line.

Was I missing something?

Re: Router connection

Have you tried without the filter? Was the router supplied by your ISP or one you purchased? If the latter, which brand?

Yes I had been told that the new master socket which was fitted as part of the fibre connection included a filter. The router is a Plusnet hub one. I have also tried my netgear VDSL router, also without success.

I have also been told that new fibre connections do not require a new master socket, where I suspect lies the problem.

I'm not actually using the equipment supplied by Plus Net but they sent me two devices - a VDSL modem which connects to the phone line and a wireless capable router which connects to that using an ethernet cable. Have they sent you an all-in-one box?

If your master socket has a filtered faceplate (two sockets on the front, one for phone, one for VDSL) then I think that any extension wiring is connected to the phone side of the filter so VDSL won't be available at the extension sockets. All this is from a vague and distant memory though so do check via Google!

I originally had the two boxes as you describe Mick but I subsequently changed to the Hub One,, which I believe is what Plusnet now supply to new Fibre customers/. The also supply a VDSL filter for use with an unmodified master socket. Trevor, I think your suggestion answers the problem as I suspected above. Perhaps I should have waited a few more months before signing up to fibre and then had the uptown date system.

Feed