Feed

Adobe Acrobat Reader Pros/Cons

Acrobat Reader has somehow got into my Apps on my iMac (mid 2010) using OS High Sierra v 10.13.6. Does the Reader come as part of the OS?
It opens automatically when I double click a document which is ok for viewing but for printing I prefer my normal print dialogue box, which allows me to choose Double Sided printing. Can I stop the Reader opening, unless I want it? I don't see advantages in using it.

Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader Pros/Cons

I have just checked our three computers, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and iMac, all around 2010/11 and none of them have Acrobat Reader installed.

In my opinion Roy, the answer is no.

It's quite easy for the unwary 😉 to download and install Acrobat Reader without wanting to - lots of places where you can download a pdf will offer it as (I think) Windows users need it whereas we have the excellent Preview to do the job (and bring up your usual print dialogue box when you print).

I would say you don't need Reader at all so it can be deleted (easily downloaded again if you change your mind) or alternatively leave it there but change your default program for reading pdfs to Preview. To do this, right click (or Control/Click if you haven't set up a right click) on any pdf and choose Get Info. In the box where it says "Open With" choose Preview and then, if you are going to make Preview your default, click Change All. In future, double clicking any pdf will launch Preview and open that pdf.

Thanks Drew and Mick. Just what I needed to know. Have deleted AAR!

Adobe Reader has also been involved in downloads that include undocumented bonus extras (of the sort that you don't want). Adobe is an innocent party in this, with third parties taking Reader and adding the extras before offering it on for download. I think (others might confirm) that you also legitimately get some variant of Acrobat with a CC subscription?

So, usual advice, if you want Reader, don't click on any convenient links of unknown provenance, go to Adobe's web site and download it directly. I reiterate, no reason to distrust Reader itself (and Adobe did invent PDF so it's probably pretty good at what it does).

Thanks for your comments Tony. I don't have a CC subscription but did look at it so Acrobat may have come in that way. Happy now to be printing pdfs via Preview.

Feed