Feed

Overly Paranoid?

Having had a scare that my phone was "broke" I realised my calendar information was vulnerable as it wasn't synced with the MacBook.

When I tried synching with the computer nothing happened and doing minimal research on the internet before resorting to this forum I found solutions only involving synching with the cloud, i.e. using servers owned by Apple.

Is there any way of synching locally? I am getting paranoid about data protection and telling the world that I have an appointment with the hospital for some dreadful ailment.

(Incidentally I turned off cookies. That was a bad mistake as I to found I couldn't log on to any sites and it took me several hours to work out why as no site would tell me.)

Re: Overly Paranoid?

I have had an email from Apple asking me if I knew how to get hold of your hospital appointments 😉

Seriously though, I can't recommend iCloud Sync highly enough for this. It's so easy and very reliable. If that's really not for you, it's still possible using iTunes:

Connect your phone to the Mac (cable or wireless) then click the phone icon at the top of the iTunes window - NOT the one in the sidebar. Then, in the sidebar, under settings, choose Info and you should be able to sync calendars (and contacts if you wish). I can't be precise after clicking Info as I'm using iCloud and it tells me so!

Yes I have been doing that but getting no where however I think I have discovered why but need help rectifying it.

On the iTunes panel there are 5 calendars: Found in Natural Language, Official F1 Calendar, Calendar, Siri Found in Apps and UK Holidays. I have ticked the "all" check box.

In the Calendar app I have only 3 all under the "Other" title: Birthdays, UK Holidays and Siri Found in Apps.

I thought the reason for the lack of syncing may have been that the phone has not a calendar to sync to so I made another calendar using File>New Calendar called just "Calendar" and re-synced the phone but no appointments appeared.

Incidentally the UK Holidays name in Calendar has a WiFi type symbol next to it.

(I created a test contact on my phone which appeared on the Mac after re-syncing so that part works)

I'm getting more confused as we go on!

In the Calendar app I have only 3 all under the 'Other' title: Birthdays, UK Holidays and Siri Found in Apps.

Birthdays is picked up from your Contacts app if you have put in a date of birth for someone, UK Holidays is a calendar you subscribe to i.e. you do not make the entries and Siri will pick up events found in any app that mentions them (I assume only on that machine), usually in emails.

The wi-fi symbol shows it's a subscribed calendar - I'd have thought the F1 calendar would be too. I don't think calendars you don't control in the Calendar app (subscribed and birthdays) would not sync - you subscribe on each device. If your contacts are syncing, that will have the effect of syncing the birthday calendar.

Confused is my middle name!

I have confused you by using the word app to describe the Calendar programme on my computer, sorry.

I'll set out in more detail what I can see.

On my phone Calendar app. there are 9 calendars! In the sub-heading "FROM MY MAC" I have Birthdays, Found in Natural Language, Official F1 calendar, Calendar, Siri Found in Apps, UK Holidays. Under the sub-heading "OTHER" I have UK Holidays (Subscribed), Birthdays (preceded by a birthday present symbol) and Siri Found in Apps.

In the iTunes panel on the Mac are shown the first 5 calendars found in From My Mac above.

In the Calendar programme on the Mac under the sub-heading "On My Mac" is the new calendar called "Calendar" that I made hoping it would sync with the similarly named calendar on my phone. Under the sub-heading "Other" are Birthdays, UK Holidays and Siri Found in Apps.

I have not mentioned before that next to each of the calendars listed in the sidebar is a tick box which is coloured and all are ticked. "Calendar" has a blue square box next to it. "Birthdays" has a grey box, "UK Holidays" has a green box and then after the name the wifi symbol and the last "Found by Siri in Apps" has a grey box.

My own birthday appears in contacts on the iPhone and the Mac and also in the calendar of both. I'm not sure whether you are saying that the birthday is picked up locally within the Mac or whether the Birthday calendar has synced successfully with my phone. I repeat, the contacts are syncing successfully.

Has this helped or hindered?

Feed