Feed

Recording to CD

I have tried to record some tracks to CD (to play in the car), using Toast and CD-R discs on my 1007 iMac, as I have previously done. However the iMac does nothing, and I get a report of 'Spindle failure". I then tried using iTunes - same result. So I then tried using an external CD player and there was no apparent reaction. However, putting the CD in my old iBook G4, all the tracks showed, recorded in .aiff format but none of them would play. I have been transferring vinyl to my iMac for some time and tried some of the tracks from this source, also in .aiff format, and they played without a problem. I feel I am doing something wrong bu need to know what!

Re: Recording to CD

I don't know if this will help , but when I want to copy some music for the car to a USB stick, I select all the tracks I want and then drag the selection to the USB disc image on the desktop. I had to convert all the tracks to Mp3 but iTunes did this in a trice.

I wonder if the CD players in cars are somewhat different?
I've had no trouble playing CDs I've made on my DVD player at home but I recently made some for a chum and they would not play in his car. Curious.

Are you trying to make an audio CD or a data CD? To be sure of it playing in all CD players, I’d opt for an Audio CD, which I normally burn from iTunes.

Thank you all for your suggestions. In answer to Lionel's reply, no disk appeared on the Desktop when I inserted the CD-R disc into the iMac. I am aware that there are problems with older CD players which cannot play some formats of CD, though I'm not sure which. And I was indeed trying to copy using an audio version.

Since then I have dug out some other CD-R disks. The ones I was trying to use first are designed to have images printed on them using an inkjet printer. The one I have just tried, and successfully recorded on is a CD-R designed to have the image printed using a laser writer. The tracks are still in.aiff format and they play on my CD player - I have yet to try them in the car. So the puzzle remains as to why the former disks have not been accepted by three CD writers - on my iMac, iBook and separate CD-player/writer,despite this type of disk having been successfully written reviously.

Feed