Feed

changing a URL in WordPress

Does anybody know how to do this? Words of one syllable if possible please.

Re: changing a URL in WordPress

If you look at the html behind the "user friendly" interface you should be able to find it there and make the alteration.

Erm..... how would I do that Mick?
I did get to a point in WordPress a few months ago when I got to the point of choosing between two alternatives, and I was afraid to click on either of them!

I'm sorry, I don't use Wordpress but a couple of years ago, I helped someone who did. Not too good at remembering breakfast let alone two years ago!

Anyway, from memory(!) go into pages, then edit page mode and then choose the page where the URL is that you want to change. I think over on the right somewhere there's a visual tab and text tab - click the text tab to see html.

Thanks Mick, I've found how to do it: go to Settings General, there are two fields- Site address URL and Wordpress address URL. Its the site address I'm going to change;I'll let you know if it works!

Ah, I assumed (wrongly) that you were looking to change a link on a page.

Well, its sort of worked, or rather its half worked. Stella Publishing in google no longer works, but if I put in the new URL — www.french-english-books-for-children.co.uk I'm taken to a holding page which says that I've not yet uploaded my website and invites me to ring a nice expensive telephone number. I've just paid for another year of hosting by the gentleman who originally built the site so I do not want a new host. Have I been ripped off by some evil bar stewards?

Thanks very much for the phone call Mick, how you thought that lot through I shall never know!

Wow Mick, its sort of worked a bit, but I had to wait 48 hours. I'm slithering off to France tomorrow, back Tuesday, when I'll have another look.. Thanks for your efforts!

Grrrrr.....,he BS'd me Mick, he clearly hasn't got a clue!
He told me that google no longer looked at the name of the website, but instead looked for content on the site.
However, he did agree to email me the IP address of the server he used, which is not his home computer. Grrrr...

The fact that you've "lost" the home page of your site is nothing to do with Google - you type in a web address and Safari/Firefox takes you there. Google (and other search engines) only come into play when you want to search for web sites that have particular information.

(I'm around till lunch time tomorrow if you want to phone).

Pretty much what I thought Mick, he did come across with the following though: Hi Eric
In order to make sure your new domain points to your website you need to change the nameservers to the follow:
Nameserver1: ns1.myukcloud.com
Nameserver 2: ns2.myukcloud.com
Once you have done this it should work.
To access the nameserver information you will need to access the domain name control panel from wherever you bought your domain name from.
I'm pretty tied up today though, could we make it Thursday?

Yes, I'm around most of Thursday. That's (part of) what I've been trying to find out from you but from what you've said he bought the domain for you. I still don't know where to point to as we don't know where the files are actually hosted - unless they are actually at myukcloud.com

I'll email him Mick.

Hee hee hee, he didn't reply but who cares?

Feed