Feed

Problem sending images from iPhone to iMac

When I try to send an image (medium size 180 KB) as an attachment, as done many times before, a message pops up: "Unable to send email - was rejected by the server". Have just found that the same applies to text only emails. Have been in touch with TalkTalk who asked me to send via their webmail and that works. They, TT, do not support Apple apps. Wondering if I have affected the iPhone settings by recently using it to control my camera remotely. However there is a wifi signal on the iPhone (and a tick) so I can't see anything wrong there. Any thoughts?

Re: Problem sending images from iPhone to iMac

Have you tried sending by air drop instead to your iMac

No haven't tried that Doug. In fact, I don't know how to do that from the iPhone. Note, text messages from the iPhone are also failing.

Have spoken to Roy and as he can send TEXT email messages from his computer but not from his phone either via wi-fi or the phone network, I believe something has gone wrong with his email settings for outgoing emails (incoming is working OK). I don't have the skills necessary to understand the error message or get the phone to give more information on why the server cannot deliver the email message.

If it were my own phone I would probably delete the account and then set it up again but am reluctant to advise someone else to do this.

Check the outgoing server settings on the phone against those (working) on the iMac.

The SMTP settings are the same except the Server Port on the iPhone is 587 but on the iPad (working) is 25. Can't find the port setting on the iMac. Have spoken to TalkTalk tech support this morning but had language difficulties and found they were not 'Mac savvy' (like me!). They said an email would be sent to me with the settings within 15 minutes, two hours later I am still waiting for it!

On the iMac they are under Mail>Preferences. Click the Accounts icon at the top then Server Settings. To get to the port, use the dropdown list under the account name on the right and choose Edit SMTP Server List. The port should be 25 for either IMAP or POP - set your phone to that. (If it's set as an IMAP account, you may not see server settings).

SSL should NOT be ticked and TalkTalk will not allow sending via their servers when not using their broadband! From their web site:

Unfortunately, if you're not connected to a TalkTalk Internet connection it's not possible to access your email account on a device such as a laptop, smartphone or tablet. Access via third party networks such as other broadband and mobile providers is not possible.

Thanks Mick, Doug and Rick. I have set the iPhone port to 25. Can't find SSL.
I am using TalkTalk broadband and have a strong wifi signal on the iPhone and iMac. I can send emails from the iPad but not the iPhone using my home network. When away from home I use web based mail via my gmail account/app. I can use this gmail to send emails from iPhone to iMac successfully at home but still can't do this via my home broadband network. I have 10 unsent messages in my iPhone Outbox from today's attempts! Receiving emails on either device is not a problem.

Could you clarify Roy:

I am using TalkTalk broadband and have a strong wifi signal on the iPhone

I can use this gmail to send emails from iPhone to iMac successfully at home but still can't do this via my home broadband network.

So if you have a strong wi-fi signal on the phone, how do you send "successfully" at home if not via the home network? Do you turn wi-fi off on the phone and use the phone network?

SSL for the outgoing server is with the other SMTP settings.

(Phone me tomorrow if you're still stuck).

" how do you send "successfully" at home if not via the home network? Do you turn wi-fi off on the phone and use the phone network?"
Mick, I don't and can't use the phone network in the home because there is no signal. NB. I said, "I can use this gmail to send emails from iPhone to iMac successfully at home". I have been using the home network for transferring images from the iPhone to iMac since buying the iPhone, until this recent problem.
I prefer using the home network to gmail. Will phone later in the day.

"I phoned a friend" - well I hope he is! During a phone chat with Mick we compared settings between iPad (working) and iPhone (not working). It came down to the port number, which was 25 on the iPad and c 525 on the iPhone. Thought I had corrected that after Mick's 7th message above but I failed to save it. Black mark but all's well that ends well. On the positive side, it was a step on the learning curve for me. Many thanks Mick.

A supplementary question re the above - how can the port number become different in the iPhone to what it should be? The problem which started this thread occurred after using the iPhone for remote control of my camera, via an app called Fujifilm Camera Remote Control and pairing it with wireless communication set in the camera. I wonder if this could cause a shift in the port number? I certainly didn't change it manually because I didn't know it was there until Mick mentioned it.

Have just had a visit from Rick (see above) and found that his iPhone 6 has a port setting of 587. I think that was my iPhone 4s port setting before the change yesterday. He logged in to my home network, sent me an email (with image) and it was received on my iMac. He uses the same camera model as mine and the same Fuji app. So the conclusion is that the change in port number is not due to the app/camera usage. I feel that a talk on settings for iPhones and iPads at a Bournemouth meeting would be worth considering for some members.

It's nothing to do with what you're sending or what network you're on. If you check, you may be using POP while Rick is using IMAP. I'd not heard of toucansurf till I met you, now it seems Rick's using it too!

Just for the record....
I'm on talktalk at home and O2 phone network. Never heard of toucansurf.

In Settings > Accounts & Passwords> (ACCOUNTS) iCloud > (ADVANCED) Mail> (OUTGOING MAIL SERVER) SMTP> (PRIMARY SERVER)iCloud SMTP Server> (OUTGOING MAIL SERVER)

All the lines below are grey including SSL which is turned ON and Server Port which is 587.

I have other SMTP servers which are turned off (but not grey), all of which have Port 25. When I researched and knew what I was doing I thought that I was using POP3 but now I am not so sure. When I was using an O2 server I used to have to force the phone to use the talktalk server when on WIFI and so prioritised servers but when I opened an Apple account I turned them all off.

We so need a talk from you, will contact Tony!

I am on TalkTalk for broadband and phone calls and I have toucan surf login for my router. It came from Toucan who I joined for broadband and phone calls many years ago, and was taken by other providers and eventually TalkTalk

Two rules of thumb (ie usually true):
* Your ISP-provided E-Mail address will not be able to send mail from your phone when out and about.
* Apple's iCloud mail addresses work regardless of location and connection.

It is common for ISPs (Internet providers like TalkTalk and Virgin) only to accept mail (ie mail that you send, including replies) when your device is on their network. So you're fine at home on your WiFi that connects via your own ISP and you will also be OK on a friend's WiFi if they use the same ISP.

Hence, an iMac is likely to "just work" because it doesn't leave home so stays on your own WiFi but a laptop or phone will generally not work once it leaves your home WiFi. Mobile operators (like O2 or 3)usually provide their own outgoing mail servers for mobile devices using their network; in theory you can set this up on your iPhone or whatever as a fallback server but personally I have had limited success with this.

This is all done to prevent the misuse of the mail servers by spammers.

Feed