Feed

Problems with SD cards

First problem - while on holidaymy a 16GB HC SD card was writing ordinary photos to card very slowly . I took two videos and the second was still writing after nearly two minutes so I gave up and turned the camera off. Big mistake! Now none of the images can be seen by Image Capture or another program that has in the past been capable of rescuing inadvertently deleted images. Another program can see them but cannot recover them - they have crosses against the file names. Before re-formatting the card - I will only lose the hundred or so holiday shots - can anyone suggest a means of retreiving them?

Second (and minor) problem - Image Capture sees my other SD card intermittently - not a big hassle as I can copy the images from the card to my Photos hard drive. But it would be easier if Image Capture always saw it. Is there a cure for this reluctance?

Re: Problems with SD cards

SanDisk used to include a program called RescuePro with their cards. Have you tried that? I have it here (on a mini-CD that is incompatible with all Apple-supplied optical drives). Since I have more than one copy, you're welcome to one if that might help.

The card has probably been corrupted by powering down during writing to it, you don't need me to remind you that we never turn off our machines until they have shutdown properly. Most of the files will likely be intact.

As to the slow writes in the camera, if you haven't already tried it then reformat the card (preferably after recovering the files...). I think I'm right in saying that their standard format suffers from the old enemy fragmentation after much use. This could conceivably be the cause of Image Capture's woes too.

Re: Problems with SD cards

Thanks for the offer Tony, but when Disk Drill was unable to restore the files I swallowed my losses and re-formatted the SD card. On the bright side the majority of the photos had already been downloaded onto my Mac, so I only lost 100 or so holiday snaps. Lesson learned!

Feed