Feed

Unintended Downloads

Have you noticed how over the last few years, more and more legitimate websites are hosting adverts and downloads that you don't want? It's now very common to be looking to download something legitimate but when you land on the page for the download you are presented with a very large, often green, button. If you read the small print near that button you will find that clicking it will download something that was not what you went to that website for. If you search that page, you will no doubt find a very small link to the download that you do actually want!

I've just helped someone to remove an annoyance from their computer (pitchofcase) which had been downloaded alongside something that they did actually want, so please take care.

Re: Unintended Downloads

Yes I have found this recently, it is annoying and there appears to be no reason why the spoof download button should be there as it bears no relation to the item you intended to download.

Re: Unintended Downloads

The big button is an advert. It's advertising something you don't want (as Mick discovered). I find it disappointing that the host website operators don't reject such misleading adverts.

If people are seeing the ads on aggregator sites like MacUpdate then I strongly advise them to stop using the sites. The only safe places to obtain software are from the (hopefully reputable) developer's own site or from Apple's (curated) App Store. Even a signed app only takes you so far in security terms.

Feed