Feed

Computer Maintenance.

Following on from the problem that Eric has with his computer, might I suggest that all venues have a presentation on “Minor Computer Maintenance”, what to do “if”. If we only spend 15 minutes or so at each meeting it would help. Yes I know we have a question and answer service at most meetings, unfortunately people are reluctant to ask questions at a meeting due to shyness or whatever other reason.

For a start. I am sure that very few of our members know what a “Safe Boot” is or how to start our computers in “Safe Boot”. Rather than explain how to do it, a demonstration could be shown.

Re: Computer Maintenance.

The sad fact is Drew that by giving troubleshooting advice now, in three years time when you finally need it things will have changed with either our Macs or our memory - or both.

However, that needn't stop us giving the advice!

Fair point Mick, but even a half memory along the lines of “I’m sure I heard something about this a while back..” can be enough to help one to frame a suitable Google enquiry. I can certainly never remember the various boot up option keys (e.g. for ejecting a cd on start up) but it is still helpful to know they are there to be found.

Trevor, what's a cd?

They tell me it's like a high tech version of a floppy disk but more shiny and easily scratched. I have a couple of cabinets full of them (whereas I can get my whole floppy disk collection in one drawer).

Feed