Feed

iOS 11 - New iPad Feature Issue

Is it just me? I'm running iOS11.2.5 on an iPad Air 2 and I'm finding Slide Over, Split View (except in Safari) and Picture in Picture either very flakey or not working at all! Slide Over & Split View seem to work sometimes but very rarely so I don't think it's something I'm doing wrong and I can never find the "two rectangles" icon to use Picture in Picture either when using FaceTime or running a video.

If you can use all these features, let me know your setup.

Re: iOS 11 - New iPad Feature Issue

Mick, it all works fine for me but I have to admit to having updated to a shiny new iPad Pro.

I guess that you might have a RAM usage issue (you have 2GB, the minimum for Split View). Try quitting all apps, then rebooting to maximise free RAM. Then try Split View with Mail and Photos (that's the example that Apple uses in this support page that also says your Air 2 should be able to do it).

I believe that Split View in Safari is a different beast, implemented in Safari before the general version was available. It just looks the same.

Thanks Tony but I had no apps running (following a restart) and did indeed use Mail & Photos but no joy.

I'm trying this because I've had a request for a demo from a U3A group I talk to. Some of them are experiencing what I am but they assumed it was their lack of knowledge or procedure. If I can't do it reliably either I'm wondering if there's a knack (as I have managed it once or twice) or a software issue.

Jane's just ordered an iPad Pro, due tomorrow. I'll see if I can get it to work on that.

I don't think there is a knack, it's all very intuitive so it smacks of something else.

I have just tried it again. For discussion, here's what I did:
With Mail open in full screen (landscape), I brought the "dock" into view and dragged Photos up and right from it (left works too). Photos took on a Slide-over shape but, as I neared the side of the screen, a black column opened for it; dropping it into that space made it take about a quarter of the screen. From there, the app divider can be dragged side to side to change the screen division. Dragging it fully to one edge removes one of the applications from display.

With both apps open, I was able to open a third in Slide-over by dragging it up from the dock. When a single app is open, an app in Slide-over can be made to go into split screen by dragging its top 'handle ' down and towards the side: this causes the same space to open so it can be dropped and go to split screen.

You'll like Jane's new iPad!

That's exactly what I've been doing and have indeed experienced once or twice but I'm guessing I get about a 90% failure rate. If I do manage to get a split screen I have never been able to get the centre divider to move at all so my only way out is to quit the pair of apps.

I'm shortly going to try it on Jane's new Pro (I may need to wait till she falls asleep!) and will report back.

You'll have to rip her new iPad from her cold, sleeping fingers...

Mick, following telecon I had to look up how to execute all the various screen arrangements and they all seem to be working fine on both my 9.7 iPad Pro and Linda’s iPad Air 2. I will bring both with me to Salisbury tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me of these features, so much we forget about and yet they are useful.

For anyone daft enough to be following this, I did try with the new iPad Pro and although both Slide Over and Split View "appeared" when I tried, I couldn't get the slide over app to exit off screen and only occasionally get it to swap from one side to the other and I couldn't move the divider in split view at all.

I conclude that iPads don't like my fingers!

I hate to think where your fingers have been to provoke the iPad to dislike them!

Warm, dry, clean and non-greasy is the best state for fingers on a capacitive touch-screen (that's most of them these days). I think cold is a bit of an issue for some people, especially at this time of year.

I take it then I'm cold, wet, dirty and greasy ;-)

I gave you the chance just to take cold but if you want to claim the full set...

Feed