Feed

New Text Bomb Alert

I have just (10:50 Feb 16 2018) seen this alert on techcrunch and it also appears on the Daily Mail site.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/15/iphone-text-bomb-ios-mac-crash-apple/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5396271/Indian-character-crash-iPhones-latest-text-bomb-bug.html

There seems to be very little advice as to how to avoid the problem an earlier version having been reported in January this year. I am not clear whether the message has to be opened for the device to be affected or if simply receiving a message can have an impact.

Peter

Re: New Text Bomb Alert

From what I've read, you have to open the message. It will then crash the app (Messages).

Messages will then not be able to be reopened until a subsequent message without the problem has been received (so you need to ask someone to send you one). That's iOS, Macs are also affected but I haven't read if Messages suffers the same inability to reopen.

Apple has promised a fix independently of the next planned OS updates (this was promised "soon" as of Thursday (15th)).

Apple released fixes for all devices today (including macOS High Sierra).

Interesting. The App store is showing no updates for Sierra on our 2009 iMac. Having held off from High Sierra this long, I'm beginning to think I might as well wait and see whether the next OS gets off to a better start.

You only have to wait till the autumn Trevor - but then, how long after release will you wait to see if it is indeed better than High Sierra?

I'm confident that if we had a show of hands there would be far more people who have had no issue at all with HS than those who have.

Yes, my hand is for High Sierra, Mick. There is the APFS learning curve, and the bug discussed previously in "Intel CPU Kernel Protection Issue" and "Sudden but orderly shutdowns - fix" (see earlier posts) but I keep seeing further small and useful improvements apart from other data advantages for SSDs.

"MacOS May Lose Data on APFS formatted disk images" (Derek's post) is not untypical of OS Upgrades - however regrettable.

High Sierra and APFS for SSDs are both working smoothly on two SSD Macs here, one of them has never had a problem with it.

Following a Bug Report to Apple, they have asked for any logs available - so, for cynics out there, engineers do chase up and analyse problems many of which come to light for a small group of users only.

Feed