Feed

Incompatibility of two Mountain Lions

When try to open a Pages version 4 file on the 'new' iMac running Mountain Lion, which had been created in Pages version 4 on the old Mini running Mountain Lion, I get the message: Pages cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure Pages works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application.
As far as I can see both OSXs and both Pages are identical, any ideas chaps?

Re: Incompatibility of two Mountain Lions

If Pages won't open, how do you know both versions are the same? I would guess that the version of Pages on the iMac is too new for Mountain Lion.

I copied the app from one to the other.

Maybe installing Pages involves a bit more than copying the app itself?

That did occur to me but I can't think of another way to do it!
I have however found a discrepancy; When starting up holding down the Alt key at the chimes, both Macs give me a choice of startup discs, and on both one of the choices is Recovery.
On the iMac however, it is Recovery 10.8.5 whilst on the Mini it is Recovery 10.8
Which I'm guessing means that the Mini, although claiming to be running on Mountain Lion 10.8.5, is actually running on 10.8 which has been updated to 10.8.5 at some point. Sob.

I don't think Recovery is necessarily updated to match the version number of the OS itself.

Can you not download Pages from the App Store?

Eric is using the "old" version of Pages (you know, the one with all the useful features that Apple promised would reappear in the "new" version after it was first released about 4 years ago).

Eric - Do you still have your original iWork DVD? I reinstalled my old Pages from scratch when I changed computer a year ago. Once you reinstall, the update package to bring it up to the last release is still available on Apple's web site (it's a bit hidden but I can help you find it, if I can remember).

Thank you Mick and Tony, but I find to my dismay that I've confused myself more than somewhat. I've actually got three versions of Pages; 4 — 5.0.1 — and 5.6.2 — gulp. I'll probably come back to this one in a few days when I've sorted my brain out!

The current version is v6. This lacks the facing pages view of v4 though Apple has now added the ability to flow text between text boxes.

If I remember correctly, v5 and v6 have only been available from the App Store. If it's actually v6 you need then Mick's advice should be the simplest way forward.

Thank you Tony.

Feed