Feed

Slideshow in Aperture 3

After eight hours hard graft on my old Mini, which produced a superb slideshow with sound, I got the message 'Unable to Export Slideshow — an invalid filename or volume name was encountered'.
Any ideas, chaps?

Re: Slideshow in Aperture 3

Could you give us the full path & file name you were trying to save to? If possible, copy & paste rather than typing it again.

Hi Mick, it didn't give me any info, you just click on the 'Export' button. To be honest I think its unstable; there are some comments on the web to the effect that it has trouble with large files. I've spent today with google trying to find a professional program I can buy, as I refuse to rent a program from some shysters, no luck so far. I've downloaded a few and they are rubbish.

Are you saying you got the error message as soon as you clicked the Export button - i.e. it didn't give you the opportunity to say where you wanted to save it or what you wanted to call it? If so, it's odd that the error message points to a filename which you have not specified or a volume name which again you have not specified.

I'll plug the old banger in and have another look, but I don't think you get any options!

There is an option, I chose 'desktop'.

So the path ends with "desktop" plus "filename" (the name you chose). Does it start with Macintosh HD?

Sorry if it appears I'm being pedantic but even though the error message may be a red herring, we need to discount it. For example, I have a small graphic of a cat on my desktop and my hard disc is called Crucial SSD so the full path is Crucial SSD>Users>mickburrell>Desktop>cat.jpg. I'm expecting yours to be Macintosh HD>Users>ericjervis>Desktop>filename or something very similar.

What format are you trying to export in?

Just had another go; pressed Export, it says NM French/English.mov and suggests putting the result into Aperture 3.4.5 — I click and it refuses.

It could be the / in the file name - that's normally a directory separator. Try changing in to an underscore.

Wow!

WOW!!!

Thanks Mick, I'd never have thought of that one!

You see why I asked for the path name - volume and file name ;-)

I'm glad somebody knows about these technical thingies!
And what a fabulous program Aperture is; it took two hours to render the seven minute slideshow to the desktop but the quality of the images is astonishing.

Two hours? It would be quicker on the new iMac Pro - as long as you have at least £5,000 to spare ;-)

Ah Mick, if only!

Whilst the .mov slideshow is superb, the resulting DVD is rubbish. If I bought VidConvert AGAIN (the shyster) do you think a different format such as .dv would give me a good result?

I burned it with the Finder and the resulting disc (.mov) is perfect, but would such a disc play on a DVD player?

Typically it wouldn't play. If I understand correctly what you've done, you have just written a computer-orientated video file to a computer-formatted disk; it's a DVD only in the physical sense.

This is why iDVD, Toast or whatever is needed to write the formal DVD Video format and to meet the particular resolution demands etc of TV-orientated DVDs.

Hmm... I looked up my post of a year or two ago on here and found that I'd answered my own question. Burn is the only app that gives acceptable quality when played on a TV.

Feed