Feed

Photo Booth on High Sierra

It's not something I use very often but, for me, Photo Booth seems to be broken on High Sierra. Does anyone else see this?

I open Photo Booth, it opens its normal window but then opens a small window in front of it saying that it is "updating my existing files". This has a progress bar that immediately goes to the completed position but nothing else happens, all PB's controls are inactive.

Re: Photo Booth on High Sierra

Open it on my iMac and had nothing happen at all it just opened and no trouble at all

I don't know if that's good news or not. I also see that I have lost my menu item to input emoji and other special characters. The input menu on the menu bar helpfully lists Hide (null) Hide (null) Show (null) underneath the keyboard selections.

It'll probably all be back tomorrow.

Update: The Show Emoji etc menu items seems to be a known problem. Following the instructions in Apple's support page fixed it for me. Two things they don't tell you, from my experience anyway: you need to do it from an Admin account and the second command may fail (it did for me but the overall fix still worked).

Thanks Tony. My ‘procrastination guilt’ over not getting round to updating to High Sierra has pretty much all evaporated over the last week or two!

Maintenance Monday continues here, makes me nostalgic for Windows XP. Photo Booth was fixed as follows:

Photo Booth creates a picture library in the Pictures folder called Photo Booth Library. Dragging that to the Desktop (or wherever) causes Photo Booth to create a new, empty library and that fixed my problem. The old library can then go in the Trash.

If there are any pictures that you want to salvage, control-click (right-click) on the old library and choose Show Package Contents. There are several folders then visible, mine were all empty apart from Pictures from whence you can drag out any photos that you want to save; they're just JPEGs.

Trevor, my current High Sierra thinking is probably to wait for the '.4' release!

The only worry I have with that advice is the ongoing Meltdown/Spectre problem (affecting all Intel CPUs across all OSs). Should this start to be exploited, it could be very dangerous and Apple's fixes appear only to be going into High Sierra.

Feed