Feed

Switching Apps during Keynote Presentation

I need to switch back and forth between a keynote presentation and a spreadsheet. I thought I could do this quite smoothly using Command-Tab but, with the computer plugged into our TV (to simulate the projector), this doesn't seem to work reliably when Keynote is in 'Play' mode.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Does this really mean I have to get to grips with Spaces for the first time?

This presentation is being given on my elderly plastic MacBook (running Mountain Lion, if I remember right). It gets very little use nowadays and I've never liked trackpads so a method that uses keyboard shortcuts would be best for me.

Thanks in anticipation - and Happy New Year to All.

Re: Switching Apps during Keynote Presentation

The New Year is trembling toward its midnight cusp, so maybe it's time to make friends with your trackpad at last? A four-finger push toward the top of the screen does it for me. Don't forget to enable the appropriate finger action in System Preferences > Trackpad. Use a series of spaces if you want to show a series of spreadsheet files in conjunction with Keynote.

Happy New (get out of the ruts) Year to all...

refs:
1. Guide to standard Keyboard Shortcute, or make your own: System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts.
2. With Mountain Lion you should be able to update to El Capitan if you need to.

Hi Trevor, like you I hate trackpads so I always plug a mouse into my laptop. Are you needing to demonstrate live spreadsheets or could you drop one into Keynote in the correct state, then an updated one a few slides on etc.? If not then pressing Escape will stop Keynote and you can press Play again to start it where you left off. A bit clunky but can be reasonably smooth with practise.

I find that when I do this, on returning to Keynote the completed slide with all bullet points is shown to the audience in editing mode before pressing start, then that slide starts from the beginning. There seems to be no way of pausing the presentation, demonstrating the computer operating another programme then restarting Keynote without showing a slide twice or revealing the points you are about to make on a new slide.
A possible work-around is to introduce blank slides at points where the keynote presentation is to stop and restart.

Thanks for all the responses. I do have blank slides between the sections so the manual stop and start isn't too revealing - just a little amateurish. And yes Mick, I do need to enter data into the spreadsheet during each break - it's a scoresheet for a quiz.

If the might of the MacOS can't achieve this, it could probably be done with a second computer connected to another input on the projector so one could simply switch inputs using the projector's remote control. However, since I would have to borrow both the connection lead and the second computer (and it would probably be a PC) this approach falls firmly in the 'too much trouble' category!

I'll have another play around and let you know if I come up with anything.

Eureka! Command-H is the key(s).
Keynote allows this command when running so if the other application is "underneath" then Hide Keynote will show it. Keynote can be restored by going to the application Dock.
(Strange that Command-H is allowed but Command-Tab is blocked but that's why Apple programmers are highly paid!)

Thanks Rick! I’ll give that a try.

Just got around to checking out Rick’s trick with the MacBook connected to the TV and it does indeed work 😀

And for the record, my memory was a bit out - it is a 2007 MacBook running Lion and unable to be upgraded further.

Thanks again for the help..

Many thanks Rick - great tip - and thanks as well to Trevor for the flight test :)

Keynote's dedicated way of doing this is just 'H' whilst presenting but that seems to do the same as Command-H. One key less to press perhaps.

Since playing around with my Lightroom presentation I found swiping left or right with 4 fingers does move to a new desktop without stopping the presentation.

I have System Preferences > Trackpad > More gestures > Swipe between full`screen apps ticked.

Interestingly if the presentation is in expanded screen (clicking the little green icon), using H or Cmd-H pauses the presentation with the following message:
"Slideshow is in Progress. This slideshow is paused" with a button to Resume.
However if the presentation is in reduced screen there is no such message and the application disappears and can be resumed using the application dock.
(I admit that having a PC and a Macbook I am still unsure of the Apple desktop and it's functions but this is a different topic)

Feed