Feed

How do I print an attachment on an email on my iPad?

I know I can send the email to my Mac and take it from there, but I will be on holiday without my Mac and want know know how to print incoming attachments on emails on my iPad (when I get to a printer!)

Re: How do I print an attachment on an email on my iPad?

The printer needs to have AirPrint (Apple's term) or just say iPad compatible.

Macs download drivers for each printer, the iPad can't so the driver for iPad needs to be built in to the printer i.e. AirPrint/iPad compatible.

Having done a dummy run and sent a mail with an attachment (an A4 JPEG) to my iPad, using Mail I can't separate the attachment from the email. Sending it to the printer results in the whole thing - email and attachment - being printed. And then what started off as an A4 size attachment prints at less than A6! So really my next (and what should have been first) question is: How do I separate an attachment from an email in Mail? I can't figure out how to drag the attachment into another app such as Pages. I am guessing that I could start off by putting the JPEG into a Pages document and then sending that, but also guess that there would still be no way of opening the attachment outside of Mail.

Touch the item (attachment) in the email this will (should) open the document in a new screen. Now touch the export icon (rectangle with an arrow pointing out) this will open a panel with many options one of which is to a print the document.

This will enable you to send the document to your printer.

Thanks Derek - I must have taken a wrong route before as I didn't get an export icon. This time I did, but... the A4 original printed in A5. So the problem is now how to get a full size print.

I print from iPads and iPhone via a Mac Mini running Handyprint which talks to the network connected printer via the standard printer control panel.

Michael, are you sure you sent the attachment "full size"?

Yes, because it printed full size on the iMac.

I had a similar issue recently. It was as if the iPad assumed that the image was a photo so in my case it defaulted to the second paper tray which had 6 x4 photo paper in it. Just a case of it trying to be too helpful. Moral, check the default settings!

I fear we might have more of this sort of thing ahead of us with ‘intelligent’ software proving to be less clever than its creator thought!

Sorry to be pedantic but I know you received the email on the iPad but did you also receive the email on the iMac and print from that to get a full A4? If the email was sent from the iMac you may possibly be printing "the original" from there rather than what it sent.

Yes, I printed the original from the iMac and the sent version from the iPad. Which raises the question as to why the attachment would change size on re-sending.

Re-sending? How many times did you send it? After the first send, did the attachment get any smaller?

Mail can (under your control) change the size of an attachment and email providers often have a maximum size of attachment. Do you know what yours is? (Although I doubt one jpeg would exceed it).

Feed