Feed

SD cards and Micro SD Cards

Connecting a Micro SD Card to my iPad, with the Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader, the card was not read. There is no such probem when connecting the same card to an iMac using Image Capture. The Apple SD Card Reader works perfectly on the iPad with a full-size SD card. Can anyone throw light on why it won't read the Micro SD Card?

Re: SD cards and Micro SD Cards

Does it depend on what you want to read. I think the apple sd card readers only read photo formats.

The Micro SD Card was from my camera and all the photos were JPEGs.

Presumably you have the micro SD card in an adapter to bring it up to full size. I would start by suspecting a mechanical problem with that adapter so try reseating the card in the adapter and reinserting the whole thing. You could also vary the order of connection (adapter to iPad first or card in card reader first.

Harking back to Lionel's comment, I assume that you have not changed the card's contents in any way since it came out of the camera. I have had the same sort of problem after reserving JPEG files: I think the iPad probably has a very stripped-down capability when it comes to reading photo cards (you'd be amazed how restrictive the actual standard is).

Best of luck.

The card came straight out of the camera - it was in a full-size adapter. I tried the various permutations of inserting the card and the card reader to no avail. I've tested it again just now and it definitely doesn't want to read the Micro SD Card. Yesterday I downloaded the last batch of photos from the Micro SD onto my iMac with no problem....

No more ideas here. It may simply be an edge case on the signals so that the card is incompatible with the iPad/reader but the Mac (and camera) is more tolerant.

I suppose you could try a different reader with your iPad in case your reader is out of spec (which could be interpreted as faulty and hence get you a new one).

Is the iPad camera adapter a genuine Apple?

Yes, it's the proper job - a Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader. As for Tony's suggestion of trying a different SD card reader with a Lightning connector, I don't have one. If anybody has I can bring the card and iPad to the September Dorchester meeting to see what happens.

I would send it back to where you bought it from. I have had trouble with those connectors with my iPad and had it replaced

The Reader works perfectly well with a full size SD card. It doesn't with the micro SD in a full size adapter. Next time I am in Exeter I will pop into the Apple Store to see what they have to say.

Can you test it on someone else's iPad?

I think it's a good idea to take it back to the Apple Store: take the card too and tell them the card works elsewhere (and if the card works for them then it's a good case that the reader is faulty).

What I was suggesting about an "edge case" is that there is a range of signal rates, levels etc that is considered legal. If your card is right on the edge of what's legal, and if the reader is slightly less tolerant than it should be, you get the annoying case where the reader works with most cards but rejects one card that happens to be important to you.

Of course, it could be that the card is slightly out of spec but who's to know...

I had to buy another micro-SD card. The problem has now been resolved. It is the SanDisk adapter that came with the first card that is at fault. No problem reading the cards with the new adapter.

Feed