Feed

Safari

Which version of Safari should a chap be using with El Cap 10.11.6?
I am using Safari 9.1.2 and the bloke building my website feels that my browser is out of date. (but I rather doubt it).

Re: Safari

I'm using El Capitan 10.11.6 too but my Safari is 10.1.1. Not sure there's a huge difference - not enough to call yours out-of-date.

Thanks Mick, I'll give it a try. I use Firefox for almost everything but Safari is handy as a backup. The bloke in question is of course a Windows man!

I'm using 10.1.1 on Sierra but I presume it's the same. You should be able to see it as part (all?) of an update from the App Store (I presume that's how Mick got it).

I would advise updating because of the raft of security updates it brings. That's probably what your man meant about being out of date. Closing the stable door whilst the horses are still present is generally a good tactic and the bad guys have a whole bundle of new toys lately, thanks to Wikileaks.

Hi Tony, I did have a go at getting it yesterday on the App Store but I couldn't find it! Plus I'm not convinced that my Windows type person knew what he was talking about. I watched a brilliant programme about Wikileaks last night on YouTube, by Richard D Hall. Julian Assange is not what he seems to be.

If you go to the App Store and click on updates, and if Safari needs updating it will download the update

Thanks Doug, It offers me 8 updates but doesn't mention Safari. I'm inclined to leave well enough alone.

Eric, I really would go for the security updates. You could avoid connecting Safari to the internet otherwise I suppose...

My reference to Wikileaks was their release of stolen NSA tools/vulnerabilities, increasing the short-term threat to us all. As to Assange, if he won't stand trial then then I guess we'll never know.

Hi Tony, I've had another go at the App store to no avail.
If I type in Safari it comes up with a load of garbage, and if I type in security updates it offers me a choice of about fifty other apps, but not Safari.
My reference to Mr Assange was about the distinct possibility that he is a sham, and in no danger of anything.

I have had Safari combined in a security update before. I would do as I suggested before open up App Store and click on updates and then click install all

Thanks Doug, but not b****** likely, the last time I did that they destroyed my main program, Affinity Designer.

You should be able to get the latest update here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204416

Nice try Doug, and thank you, but this is what it says: Some updates appear only after installing other updates, and some updates are part of other updates. For example, updates for Safari don't appear, because you get them as part of macOS updates. There's no way I'm doing that!

I've just been offered Safari 10.1.2 (plus a security update 2017-003)

I updated to Sierra 10.12.6 today and have the same version as Mick.

Thank you Gentlemen, you are fortunate fellows!

Feed