Feed

Deleting files from USB stick

I am trying to delete some folders and files from my AUGWessex USB stick (formatted to FAT32, I believe). Whilst I can delete single files and multiple selections of files, any attempt to delete a folder (empty or not) results in "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -1407)."

I tried to re-format the stick with Disk Utility but (in the neutered Sierra version at least) the FAT32 option is greyed out.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple here but I'm definitely missing it!!

Re: Deleting files from USB stick

I had no problem deleting the folders, but I am running Lion which does not have all the bells and whistles of Sierra.

Yes, I've used the stick ok before. However these files arrived by a convoluted route: downloaded from my model flying transmitter to an ancient Windows XP laptop, then transferred to the Mac via the stick for safekeeping. All went well until I tried to tidy up by deleting the stick.

Try formatting to something that isn't greyed out then reformatting to whatever you choose - FAT32 if it isn't greyed out. Or see if Windows XP will format it.

I have a vague memory of this problem on a memory stick. I think I pressed blindly ahead and it worked anyway. If it happens again, it's always worth checking the folder's permissions.

Please tell me that your XP machine isn't connected to the internet!

The XP machine is certainly not connected to the internet! I use it mainly for updating firmware on devices where the developer has been too lazy to implement a platform-independent solution. As a result, it gets used once in the proverbial blue moon and I found that it usually wanted to spend most of the day installing Windows updates before letting me use it. Then the firmware update would fall foul of the anti-virus S/W.

So, the a/v software was removed and internet access barred. It now starts up in a flash and, apart from moaning about the lack of a/v software and pleading to be allowed to connect to the wireless network it has found, lets me get working straightaway. Of course, this does mean that firmware updates have to be downloaded to the iMac and then transferred via USB stick, which is where we came in.

Since this is the prime use of the stick, I think I'll take Mick's second suggestion and try to reformat it on the XP machine - when I'm feeling like a trip into unknown territory!

Feed