Feed

Broken LCD display on MacBook Pro

Hi, I've just propelled the TV remote onto my 2015 MacBook Pro Retina screen, (by accident!), hasn't cracked the top glass but done the display in such that I've got lots of psychedelic lines going on so can't use it. I have turned it off by using the power and return keys.

Have booked into Apple Store next Monday to see how much the repair is going to cost and have also asked for quotes from firms online.

Need some advice on whether to go for the repair, or cut my losses and break the bank to invest in the new model with Touch bar, just about to be released?

Would also appreciate info on where else to try for a fair charge for a repair.
Many thanks, Jeanette.

Re: Broken LCD display on MacBook Pro

Not based on any personal experience of non-Apple repairs but I'd want it repaired by Apple if it were mine - assuming you go for a repair, and it is only two years old.

You could connect it to an external monitor to see the screen.

Thanks Mick. One of my sisters asked if I could claim through household insurance and apparently I have accidental damage cover, I just need to pay for the first £100. I've never claimed on insurance before, I'm finally getting into the 21st century! 😄

I wonder if you could persuade Apple to say it's beyond repair so you need to replace it ;-)

UPDATE:- Before taking the MBP to Apple Store I cleaned the outside case and the screen with soap on damp kitchen roll and took photos in case scratches appeared as it is scratch free at the moment.
The screen went a bit smeary after this treatment and I thought I'd leave it because it was going to get changed anyway, due the the cracked LCD.

The store was busy as usual and I had to wait over half an hour past my appointment. Told the technician the problem and also mentioned the 'smearing' he said, 'Just a moment', and looked on his iPad. He looked up and said that due to the smearing, the display would be replaced free of charge, despite having the damage to it because of issues with some Retina displays! You could have knocked me down with a feather, I felt I had another birthday.

I had no knowledge of this smearing problem and there is more info here, http://www.staingate.org
I've since learned that kitchen roll should not be used on the screen, but if I hadn't used that, I wouldn't have seen the smearing and would have probably paid full price for a replacement display.

This issue is apparently long standing and I think if your MacBook Pro Retina has been bought in the last 3 years, you will be covered, see the MacRumors link in the staingate link above for more detail.

Here's what the worksheet says,

Warranty Status: Quality Program (E1)
GBR Model: MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 15-INCH, MID 2015)
Date of Purchase: 30-Sep-15

Problem Description/Diagnosis
Issue: Display has a coating issue.
Steps to Reproduce: Visually verified during the appointment.
Cosmetic Condition: There is a point of impact to the top left of the display but the display is covered under a quality program so in this situation we are able to cover the cost of the display for the customer.
Proposed Resolution: Replace display under quality program.
Customer has a recent backup.
Positioned a 5-7 day turn around time.
Estimated Turn Around Time: We'll call you in 3 - 5 days

Repair Estimate
Item Number Description Price Amount Due Customer KBB
661-02532 Display Assembly £ 489.00 £ 0.00
S1490LL/A Hardware Repair Labor £ 69.00 £ 0.00
VAT £ 0.00
Total £ 558.00 £ 0.00

I would urge you all to check your Retina MBP and you might also get another birthday, like me!
RESULT!

It's not clear from the costings because I can't put the tabs in but the important point says the amount due is £0.00

I take it you're happy with Apple's service :-)

Apple follow the UK Consumer Rights laws which essentially give you 6 years warranty for manufacturing type issues
see

UK Consumer Rights

I had my 4 year Mac Book pro screen repaired last September under this scheme - it had developed a line across the screen

One has to consider whether AppleCare will give you any benefits (from what I can see only in the case of accidental damage where there is no apparent manufacturing

Sorry just noticed this post.
My Macbook Pro screen was replaced free of charge in January when it had developed a delamination effect in one of the layers all round the edge of the screen and steadily working it's way towards the middle. I thought at first it was a cleaning problem but Solutions in Bournemouth advised me that it was a manufacturing defect common to my Retina display model. Since then of course I have read about it on the internet.

Glad to hear yours was fixed without fuss too.

Feed