Feed

not one to complain

You know me chaps, I'm not one to complain BUT:
having done an awful lot of work over the last two years, preparing fourteen books with Affinity Designer on my Mountain Lion machine, and having received an email from Af Des some months ago about all the projected improvements they were going to make, and having replied to that email stating that I hoped they weren't going to b*gger it up like Apple are so prone to do; and having had a reply to the effect that, "Don't worry Eric, we're not that stupid, we are not Apple"I was a bit surprised to find that when I used the new version of the app on my new Mini which has 133% of the RAM on the old one, plus of course, the inestimable virtue of running Sierra, it did not seem to be any faster. I put that down to my own imagination, knowing what decent types I was dealing with, ha ha. I had finished off the first three titles on the new Mini, although most of the work had originally been done on the old one, but seemed to have been imported into the updated app successfully. On Saturday I started work on the latest book using the latest version of the app on the new machine only to find when I'd spent all day on it that AfDes refused to allow me to use the typeface I wanted, Avenir Next Medium 12 on 15pt, but instead insisted on my using some crummy Apple font. So I restarted on the El Capitan drive which had the intermediate update of AfDes and found much the same thing; I could select the right typeface and change the leading to 15pt, but only until I let go of the mouse button, when it reverted to what IT wanted me to use! So I fired up the old banger on Mountain Lion with the original version of AfDes and everything now worked as it should, except that the guides could only be positioned to two decimal places, but I found a workaround for that. And it was much faster in operation! My question therefore is, can I partition the drive on the new Mini and install Mountain Lion on it?

Re: not one to complain

Presuming that you have installed the font on the 'new' machine, I'd report a bug in AD for starters. It's a shame to let one problem drive you back to the old version & computer.

See what Font Book does when you choose the desired font (and try validating it while you're there - on the File menu).

I'll have a go at that Tony, thank you.

Hi Eric.
OSX versions and a possible font fix.

Your new Mini 2014 > won’t run under Mountain Lion whether installed internally or externally —Yosemite 10.10 is the minimum.

Tony makes a good suggestion:
Corrupted font caches can cause many insidious errors, and I have seen similar (although not quite the same) disappearing font behaviour in QuarkXpress 2016 running under Sierra. The fix is to delete the font caches, reinstalling the font isn’t then generally necessary.

I once saw an A3 sheet of expensive bromide produced with just a few tiny dots of black at the bottom — due to a corrupt font or cache.

Not sure whether ‘validating’ the font in Font Book will do this — I use Linotype’s Font Explorer X Pro 6 which makes this convenient.

However Onyx from Onyx for Sierra also makes this simple:
Onyx > Cleaning > Fonts > Delete Font Caches.
(I ‘clean’ all five options when there is an issue. You will need to restart your Mac.)

Remember to only use the correct Onyx version for your macOS. For Sierra this is Onyx 3.2.4.

AD (and AP) work here beautifully, highly recommended. I have seen no “bug” reports on their Support Forum about your font issue.

Hi Euan,
Thank you. I downloaded OnyX from MacUpdate and got it safely into the applications folder. I then saw an instruction pane with about six steps to follow of which only the first four seemed to make sense inasmuch as when I reached a certain step it instructed me to do something and I couldn't see how! I may have another go later, when I've calmed down a bit!

Wow! Feeling better after breakfast I decided to try version 1.3.5 on my El Capitan drive, thinking that El Cap must be capable of running on my new Mini. And I can only repeat Wow, it works perfectly and is like greased lightning! I'll keep you posted.

Feed