Feed

Missing icon in Sierra

I've bought a new Mini, visited the app Store and updated a few things including Affinity Designer, which has downloaded to my external drive. I thought I'd just drag it from there to the hard drive I'm using BUT: there is no icon for the current drive!

Re: Missing icon in Sierra

Hi Eric, click on the desktop background so the the word Finder appears in bold beside the black Apple logo in the top left corner of the screen. Click the word Finder and choose preferences. Under General you will see "show these items on the desktop". Make sure hard discs is ticked if you want to see your internal drive icon and External discs is ticked to show your external drive. Does that solve it?

Ha ha ha ha...certainly does, Mick, though I feel a bit of a lemon! Now for my second little problem; My old Mini is connected to the LaCie via FireWire and the Lacie is connected to the new Mini via USB3. The old one does not appear on the desktop whilst the LaCie does. Does this mean that there is some incompatiblity between FireWire and USB3?

Can you connect your external HD to your router using the USB connection and then both your minis should be able to see it. Maybe the LaCie does not allow use of the USB and firewire connections at the same time.

Thank you Lionel, I'll have a good think about that tomorrow but it seems probable to me as I had some inkling of this yesterday whilst mucking about with it in the absence of an HDMI to DVI cable for the monitor, which I bought today. I'll keep you posted.

Lionel is right, a simple external drive can only be connected to a single computer at a time. The drive relies on the computer to manage it and, well, too many cooks spoil the bytes.

Thanks Tony,saved me buying a USB3 cable! I'll just pension off the poor old thing.

Feed