Feed

Epson Printer Cable Connection

Below is my previous post re a problem connection to my printer via Wi-Fi. Unfortunately, this wasn't solved. I tried to get a driver update from the Epson site but my old printer model doesn't show. (Epson Stylus Photo PX720WD). Perhaps it's no longer supported. The printer worked intermittently after my previous post and I have checked and changed various settings in an attempt to get it to run consistently. This may be why it has stopped printing completely!
Consequently, I have connected it to the router with an ethernet cable but without success! On clicking 'print' the dreaded printer icon in the dock starts bouncing and the message is "Communication Error". I can't see any settings to change in System Prefs so I wonder if the Router has to be reset for a cable connection?

Re: Epson Printer Cable Connection

Update: After restarting the iMac, the Router and the Printer two letters have printed!! Perhaps all it needed was a restart. Will see how we go from here.

After a few weeks of satisfactory operation, I have to return to this issue with the printer. Even though I am using a cable connection, the printer has started stalling. This morning it printed two documents successfully but four hours later it has stalled again, twice. The first error message was, "Communication error, searching for printer". At the second attempt, the message is, "Stopped - 'Filter failed'. I have tried switching the printer off and on but without success. Any tips for fault finding or adjustment of settings?

Update: Have just gone to System Prefs - 'Printers & Scanners' and clicked on 'Restart'. The printer 'came to life' and started printing. It stopped after 90% was spooled, I waited about 5 minutes before it finished the job. It was a fairly detailed A4 text document in grayscale. Is there anything I can do to make the printer speed up and be more reliable?

Roy, usual advice to 'try a different socket' is probably not practical. It does sound like an intermittent hardware issue. Since it's an elderly model I think you might need to start thinking about life without it; time to start dropping hints about birthday presents perhaps?

Thanks Tony. Recently had a birthday so perhaps an early Christmas present!

Feed