Feed

A network query

A message has come up on our computers to say that somone/something is using the IPv4 address 192.168.1.5

Checking the three computers, the old iBook has 192.168.1.10, the MacBook Pro is 192.168.1.7 and the iMac is 192.168.1.3, while the router is 192.168.1.1.

If these addresses, which are as far as I can see, allocated automatically, are done in some form of order, where have the intervening numbers gone, and what could be using 192.168.1.5?

The Advanced pane of Network settiings shows that IPv6 is configured automatically - what bearing if any does this have on the allocation of IPv4 addresses

Thinking it could be the iPhones I looked for but did not find Network options in Settings.

Enlightenment please!

Re: A network query

The IP address of iPhones can be found under Wi-Fi. Just tap Wi-Fi and then the the info sign next to the name of the network with the tick.

It's probably nothing sinister but it's odd that you should just be informed that something is using one particular IP address. Why just one and why one you can't (as yet) trace? Why not 7 which you know is the MBP? You say has come up on our computers implying that the same message came up on them all. Is that correct?

When the router gives out IP addresses it does tend to give them out in order. When a device is switched off, the router does not necessarily reclaim the address straight away so that if the device is switched on again, it can carry on using its old address. So whatever is using 192.168.1.2 may be switched off. Sometimes, when the router gives up waiting and reallocates an address to a new device, the old device gets switched on and tries to use its old address resulting in a message that two devices on your network have the same address. Is it possible the message about 5 was that two devices were using it?

Re: A network query

I think Mick is probably correct but I'd like to be picky here. If the message you saw said that a particular device's IP address was in use by another device and the message came up only on the first device then... It's nothing to worry about.

If you saw an error that doesn't meet the above description, could we have more details please? Your router probably has a screen somewhere that shows you all the devices it is serving with their addresses, you can look there for interlopers though I'd be very surprised if you found any. (If it's an Apple router, use Airport Utility).

Feed