Feed

Printer problem

Our ancient iBook 4, running Snow Leopard (its' maximum OS)has for the second time stopped printing to either of the two printers to which it is connected, (via a USB hub - not by wi-fi). While both printers are shown in System Preferences as 'in use', one of them certainly isn't, because it's not even switched on.

Last time this happened I deleted one printer, but on trying to re-add it to the printer list in System Preferences, no printers were found. The same is happening this time.

On pressing Cmd-P the printer dialogue shows, with a thumbnail of the document, but nothing happens, and the Print Queue does not open nor does the printer appear in the Dock.

I have tried repairing permissions, and turning the printers off and on, and re-booting the laptop but these have made no difference. On the last occasion service was resumed after a time for no apparent reason - certainly not through any action on my part. Can anyone think of a reason for this sudden loss of connection?

Re: Printer problem

Have you tried connecting the printer directly with a 'known good' USB cable, i.e. not via a hub?

Yes, and it works with a direct connection. But that then cuts out use of the inkjet. I have delved into the dust and cobwebs behind the desk and realised that I was wrong in stating that the connection was by USB. It is in fact an Ethernet connection via the router. And of course making a direct connection doesn't solve the question as to why the previously excellent connection has suddenly stopped - what would make both printers appear in use when they are not? Over the weekend I shall clean out the wiring and check the runs and connections (though nothing has been done to disturb the latter) I will report back when all is clean, tidy and checked.

To clarify - both printers are ethernet enabled and hence are connected to the router by an ethernet cable?

Snow Leopard still has the wonderful Network Utility - have you tried using this to ping each printer? This would tell you if it's a network connection issue.

My printer is connected via ethernet and I have found that it requires a fixed ip address otherwise it loses connection if it is switched off. The DHCP system which allocates ip addresses to my other kit does not seem to work with the printer which is a HP Photosmart all in one.

There was obviously too much in the way of dust and cobwebs behind the desk - the two printers were in fact connected via the USB hub, and having spent a jolly four hours disconnecting every cable in sight (41 if anyone is interested!) cleaned and replaced everything, lo and behold! The two printers were found in the Printers and Scanners in System preferences - along with their two alter egos which were still shown as "In use". These were disconnected and wife is now happy. But I can think of no reason why this should occur - nothing is changed but the printers decide to go on strike!

Alas! That was a very quick (as in the amount of time that it lasted) fix. The two printers are once again shown as "In use" while attempting to add a printer fails to see them. This is particularly puzzling as no alterations to any settings have been made. The only solution I can think of is to get a USB Splitter cable bringing two leads into one to connect the iBook directly to the laser printer, and have the occasional documents that need colour emailed across (or I can open them on the iMac from the iBook Desktop)

Michael,

If you're using a USB printer, I think you have to set one machine up to manage (share/serve) it. The machine with the printer connected needs to have 'Share this printer on the network' ticked in Printers & Scanners in System Preferences. The other machine can then access the printer across the Ethernet/WiFi as though it were a network printer.

If you have an Ethernet/WiFi printer, the printer has the sharing built into it and neither computer has a direct connection, neither printer needs to serve (share) the printer.

The word "share" is confusing here: in System Preferences, the switch is to make the directly connected Mac do the sharing of the printer. Both Macs will then "share" the printer in the common meaning of both being able to use it.

Feed