Feed

Safari problem and TalkTalk SuperSafe

After opening Safari on my iMac (OS El Capitan)a message box pops up saying: "Do you want to allow this page to open "TalkTalk SuperSafe"? There are two link options given to click: "Cancel" or "Allow". I haven't clicked "Allow" but on clicking "Cancel", the message box disappears and Safari remains open. Then when I click on a page to open it, Safari closes. I have tried TalkTalk technical support but they were not helpful. I think it's best if I uninstall SuperSafe but can't find it in 'Applications'. There is an icon for it on the right of the top bar, near the Time Machine icon. Any thoughts? In the meantime I am using Firefox.

Re: Safari problem and TalkTalk SuperSafe

TalkTalk Supersafe is a TalkTalk "boost", with a downloadable app. Essentially it's an Anti Virus thing, and running two of these at the same time isn't a very good idea. Do you already have AV software from another vendor running?

Conceivably you may also need to go to your TalkTalk account and "disconnect" it there as well as in your Mac Applications folder.

More information here.

Thank you Euan. The TalkTalk SuperSafe "boost"has been running on my iMac satisfactorily for several weeks. I don't have other AV running, as far as I know! The message box in question only started to appear two days ago. It looks suspicious, which is why I haven't clicked 'Allow".
TalkTalk support gave a link to how to uninstall the boost but I can't find the application in my Applications folder. The icon for it remains in the top bar. When I click the icon it opens a TalkTalk status box and link to Preferences or Scan.

After emails to/from Euan and a phone call to TalkTalk tech support, Safari is 'behaving' again. It was confirmed, by TT, that the pop-up is genuine and clicking 'Allow' gets me browsing again. Panic over!

That has definitely persuaded me not to install TalkTalk SuperSafe

Feed