Feed

BASIC Programming on the Mac

I think at the last meeting I spoke to you, Tony about programming the Mac. I found Chipmunk BASIC

Have you tried it. It will triumph or fail depending on how well it integrates with hardware drivers - the Graphics, the printer and the filing system etc. Thinking of downloading it but will probably wait until after updating to Sierra

Would have emailed you separately but didn't have your email address.

Re: BASIC Programming on the Mac

Rick I can't comment on your technical question - it's beyond me! Just btw - email addresses of committee members are under Contact above, then click on the name of venue. Roy.

Hi Rick, I'll E-Mail you separately about this but thanks for the link: I have seen it and it didn't do too much for me.

While we're here, are there any members who grew up with Acorn/ Archimedes/ BBC Micro and its BBC BASIC? That's where I have homed-in.

I didn't grow up with BBC Basic - I'm much too old for that! But I did enjoy programming in BBC Basic - even managed a working version of PacMan!

I used to use BBC Micro and later an Archimedes A300 and finally a RISC PC and A7000 (I still have the RISC PC and the A7000) to run the manufacturing process and stock control for my business using a program I'd written in BBC Basic. Those were the days :-)

There is a small community running RISC OS emulators on their Macs but I doubt that includes BBC Basic.

I thought there might be a few more refugees from Acorn around AUGW.

Mick - I do have a RISC OS emulator on my Mac. It does work but it doesn't integrate very cleanly with macOS and I wouldn't consider it as fit for anything serious. It includes BBC BASIC and runs OK though it's a lot slower than a native implementation would be. It's fun as nostalgia.

Feed