Feed

Unable to open images.

Using Safari for years I have been able to click on ‘thumbnails’ in my online external picture library and open larger images and more information. Recently I find that only this message appears on the pop-up window of the library: “Alternate HTML content should be placed here. This content requires the Adobe Flash Player. Get Flash”.
I have up-to-date Flash and Safari version 10.0 with OS X El Capitan v10.11.6 on my iMac. This doesn’t happen with Firefox v 49.01
Have put the problem to the picture library who say: “Our IT have checked this issue in iMac on OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6 and Firefox, Safari - NPAPI 23.0.0.162.
 They couldn't recreate the issue so it seems to be some browser issue at your end”.
Any thoughts anyone?

Re: Unable to open images.

When did you last update Flash? New versions are released fairly frequently. I think (but am not sure) that firefox will let you use an out-of-date version whereas I know Safari insists on the latest.

Is it possible for anyone (me?) to go to the picture library and see what happens or is it restricted to you by user name & password?

I updated Flash Player last week Mick and this is from System Prefs: "NPAPI Plug-in version 23.0.0.162 is installed. PPAPI Plug-in version 23.0.0.162 is installed".
Access to the relevant picture library page is restricted by user name and password. The picture library did say their IT people had checked it on Safari and couldn't recreate the problem which I am experiencing and I believe them!

Roy, Have you looked at Safari Preferences and clicked on the 'Plug in settings...' button? If you click on the Adobe Flash Player on the left (which needs to be ticked), you can see which websites are allowed to use the plug-in.

Trevor, Adobe Flash Player Version 23.0.0.162 was already ticked. However, I have just noticed that when on the picture library page the prefs were not allowing that site to use Flash. Have switched to 'allow' and on the library website to 'always allow' and eureka! I can now see all the info required. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction, which was under the 'Security' tab in Safari System Prefs. Also many thanks to Mick for help during a phone call.

Feed