Feed

iPhone 4s problem

I have an iPhone 4s that has always been encased in a leather wallet with a magnetic catch. When I closed the case the phone would automatically switch itself off.

A few months ago I updated the phone as requested by Apple, since then the automatic “switch off” ceased to work, I had to switch off manually. I tried everything possible to rectify the problem, in the end I accepted it and left well alone.

A few weeks ago I replaced the old leather cover with a new one, again with a magnetic closing device. Eureka, the phone started to shut down automatically again, I couldn’t believe it.

This morning when I used the phone, it was back to square one, the phone refused to shut down automatically.

Is there someone out there who can possibly point me in the right direction on how to rectify this. I just can’t understand why this should or could happen. There must be a simple explanation.

Re: iPhone 4s problem

I wasn't aware that iPhones, as opposed to iPads, had ever had automatic switch-off via magnets. I always tap the sleep/wake button as I close my case.

Other possible mechanisms include the case fouling the sleep/wake button or the proximity sensor that blanks the display when you hold the phone to your ear (or anything else, though I think you have to jailbreak to make this work generally*). Could these explain the switch-off and the change of case be coincidental?

*Be aware that jailbreaking brings significant security risks

Re: iPhone 4s problem

Thank you for replying Tony.

Definitely no "Jailbreak", when I purchased the phone and case that contained magnets it shut down automatically.

It was only after an update that it stopped, I assumed the update was the cause. As stated, I replaced the worn out case with a replica containing magnets and the phone once again shut down automatically for a few weeks then stopped.

I am just bewildered as to "why".

Feed