Feed

IPad Pro Stops Watch?

When my 30yr old Casio watch began to lose 2-5mins at random, I just assumed that it's time had come. To my surprise, I found that a very similar watch (now branded 'Retro') was still available, so I bought one - only to find that within a few days it began to do the same thing. Rather than conjure up some exotic theory, I gave coincidence the benefit of the doubt and swapped the watch (Argos no-quibble returns policy) and, you guessed it, the same thing happened again.

Only the analogue time display is affected so it seems that something is causing the stepper motor to stutter from time to time. The watch will sometimes go for several days keeping perfect time then suddenly will be five minutes slow.

The latest twist in the story- I have always worn my watch on the inside of my wrist. For the last week though, I have tried wearing it conventionally on the outside and so far, the watch has behaved itself. I notice that when I hold my iPad in landscape mode, the inside of my wrist is very close to the corner of the iPad. As far as I can recall, the old watch did start playing up at roughly the same time as I bought this iPad (9.7in Pro model).

So, coincidence? Or could there really be something in an iPad that can interfere with the stepper motor in a watch?

Re: IPad Pro Stops Watch?

I finally got fed up of this unanswered question nagging away in the back of my mind, so did a simple experiment. I can now confirm that the iPad Pro 9.7in can indeed halt the stepper motor in a wristwatch. I even have the video evidence.

Now I just have to decide what to do with the video - and the spare, fully operational, watch!

I think you may be looking at this from the wrong angle Trevor. It's much more important to know the right time than be able to check email in bed so I suggest you keep the watch - I'll take the iPad off your hands ;-)

Trevor, I'd love to see the video. I was going to make a jokey comment about this being a conspiracy to make you buy an Apple Watch but it's actually a little worrying. Examples range from missed appointments to more serious worries with pacemakers. Tablets are now cleared for use on airliners too (assuming it's not the radios causing the problem)

Could it be the magnets, in either pad or case? I wonder if your iPad is faulty? It would be interesting to test another one.

Ok Tony, I have now uploaded the video to Vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/184031513

Since my objective was to establish what was happening to my watches, I didn't spend any time trying to establish the full extent of the iPad's malevolent influence, nor did I try to rule out the possibility that the real culprit may be magnets in the case.

Thanks for the video.

It could be coincidence but there is indeed a magnet in the iPad where you held the watch. There are quite strong magnets all down that edge to hold anything that uses the smart connector. If it is magnets then the other worries are likely groundless.

Those magnets are an iPad Pro only feature so you may have created the problem by buying Apple's latest and greatest. I am prepared, after much heart-searching, to offer to solve your problem through a straight swap of your iPad Pro for my iPad Air (with no charge for the lack of magnets).

Feed