Feed

Solid State Drives

Can any one help with a problem wit a solid state drive that keeps giving this message
Mac keeps telling him it keeps filling up with this "other storage" but he doesn't know what it is, and he's deleted loads and it's not getting rid of any of it

Re: Solid State Drives

You may find your answer here. N.B. this doesn't have to do with an SSD, but with all drives.

You could try to find where on the Mac the 'Other Storage' is being generated.

1. Open a Terminal
2. type: cd / <return>
3. type: sudo du -sh -I Volumes * <return>
4. Enter your admin password.

Where <return> is your return key....

Wait a few minutes, you should get a top level list of directories on your Mac and the amount of disk being used.

e.g.

37G Applications
8.0K Desktop Folder
8.0K Desktop Folder (from old Mac)
0B Downloads
33G Library
0B Network
7.3G System
4.0K User Guides And Information
4.0K User Information

Once you see the directory which looks very large... 'cd' into that directory and repeat step 3... but without the '-I Volumes' keep repeating until you find the file or directory which is causing the issue. Once you find it... more research might be required why and what would be generating the data.

Thank you for your advices Martin. I will pas the information on to my granddaughters boyfriend and see if he can sort it out

There's a free app on the Mac App Store called FindSpace. I haven't tried it but it sounds as though it may be a graphical way to do what Martin suggested.

Alternatively, I have long had a copy of a utility called GrandPerspective that might help. It draws a pretty picture of your space usage and lets you click to identify the big ones; a bit laborious for your purposes but might help and it is pretty.

Thank you for those advices Tony

Feed