Feed

Spam from myself!

I've just received an email, supposedly sent by myself at 1.30 a.m., and copied to six of my contacts, about some crappy slimming pills. How can I protect myself from this? (G5 PowerPC Leopard)

Re: Spam from myself!

I received one of them this morning from you

If you are on one of the free web based mail systems - eg Yahoo, etc etc they are prone to hacking by third parties, I was hacked a few weeks ago and spam was sent to all my contacts on that mail system. I then deleted all my contacts (The address is only for Freecycle type stuff and the odd group)

Try moving to GMail it has a very good spam filter, and you can read the the mail into Thunderbird or Mail on you machine and still refer to the data on the G Mail site.

Thanks Douglas, you mean of course, allegedly from me!
Thanks Derek, I think I tried Gmail some time ago and found it not to my taste, but my memory is pretty bad.
I shouldn't mind paying a trifling sum for a decent email system, and I await your further suggestions Gentlemen.

OK eric, why are you not using mail.app? don't like it?
most folks who use browser based email, and check it from an windows machine "because they can" will likely suffer the embarrassment of self spamming and the wrath of friends.
change to a client base app if you can its really not that hard, and programs like eudora or mail.app and many others will allow you to aggregate several accounts into one big mailbox, and avoid bugs.

Hallo, Gordon; because I'm a luddite.
I promise to give it a try sometime.

OK, I give up; I'm read for Mail as Yahoo has been moronized. As soon as I can get another new keyboard of course. Just tried to use Mail but it says "the sender address [undisclosed email] was rejected by the server smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk" and a little panel says "the POP server POP.mail.yahoo.co.uk rejected the password for user toadslayr". I've tried all the passwords I might have used years ago but none of them work.
G5 PowerPC Leopard

Feed