Feed

Safari Screen problem

I updated to High Sierra 10.13.1 a couple of days ago and because of the additional feature of stopping annoying video pop-ups thought I would try Safari rather than Firefox. I am losing about a centimetre of the left-hand edge, in fact the whole screen is shifted by this amount so I cannot access the go-back arrow.

I do not know whether this is because of the thin air of High Sierra or whether it is something that has always been with Safari. The web casts no light on the subject. Cannot find anything in settings to give me back my margin. No other application programme seems to be affected.

Any ideas?

Re: Safari Screen problem

I don't fully understand your issue Rick.

If the whole screen moves left, what happens on the right? Do you get a black line?

Can you not move the Safari window into the centre of the screen?

What happens if you enter full screen mode?

Are you running your screen at native resolution?

If I display this page in Firefox then the white area is central; in Safari there is a narrower pale blue boarder to the left and a wider boarder to the right. There is no black on the right but more pale blue.
The first icon shown on the bar at the left is the right arrow. There is a left arrow but the right arrow and the traffic lights are missing. On the right the last icon is "Show All Tabs" and it looks to be the correct distance from the edge. Zooming in and out only enlarges or reduces the white panel as one would expect.
I found Enter Full Screen in the menu as there is no red, orange, green icons and it shifts the white panel centrally and now all the icons are present.
This is a good work-around. Thank you, I didn't think of using the menu to do this however the problem remains with the usual screen.
You asked me whether I could move the Safari window. I don't know how to do this.
My Display is at the default resolution.

It sounds at if the Safari window is positioned too far left so that part of it is off screen. Click anywhere on the grey bar at the top (except where you have favourites listed if indeed you do) and drag it right. It may help to reduce the size of the Safari window if dragging it moves another part off screen.

Move the arrow to the grey area under Safari on the top left hand side of your screen next to the traffic lights.

Left click bottom left hand side of the trackpad and hold down.

Using right hand finger on the trackpad, you can move the screen around to suit.

Thank you Mick and Drew.
Now I feel an idiot. That's all it was. The screen was displaced.

One day I'll remember how this GUI works!

And I thought that moving windows was a bit of the Mac GUI that Microsoft copied quite faithfully in Windows 🤪.

Feed